Sofa King We Todd Did

Avid BB7 Road disc brakes for off-road use?

How about it, folks? If I matched up a set of Avid BB7 Road disc brakes with some road levers, should I have any concerns about using them for off-road purposes? Surely the road version operates a bit differently as far as the amount of pull is concerned, but is there any variance in the stopping power, modulation, etc.?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    How about it, folks? If I matched up a set of Avid BB7 Road disc brakes with some road levers, should I have any concerns about using them for off-road purposes? Surely the road version operates a bit differently as far as the amount of pull is concerned, but is there any variance in the stopping power, modulation, etc.?
    They work great. No difference in use between the mtb/road calipers with the appropriate levers.

My Coiler DL with Ultegra levers, Avid road calipers and Galfer 203/185 rotors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just Ride
    Very nice bike shiggy... unusual handle bars for a mtb!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, shiggy.

Ever try using the road calipers with MTB levers? I know that the difference between the two sorts of calipers lies in the amount of cable pulled. If I had levers like Avid Single Digit levers with the leverage adjustment, any idea if they could be made to work with road disc brake calipers?

I have not tried it but it should be less powerful.
    With road brakes the high mechanical advantage is in the lever rather than the caliper. It works the other way round with V-type brakes.

If you used v-levers (low mech advantage) with the road discs (or road rim brake calipers) (low mech advantage) you would have weak, hard to use brakes.
    mtbtires.com

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, shiggy. I'm not sure I completely understand the whole mechanical advantage point you've made, but the 'not good enough' conclusion is good enough for me. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Cheers, shiggy. I'm not sure I completely understand the whole mechanical advantage point you've made, but the 'not good enough' conclusion is good enough for me. Cheers.
    Think of it as gearing for climbing.

A long cable pull low mech advantage lever, (v-type) is like a big chainring. A high mech advantage road lever is like a small ring.

A large cog on the rear (think v-brake) has a higher mech advantage than a small cog (road brake).

You can get the small results with a big ring and big cog (v-type brakes/lever) as you can with a small ring / small cog (road brakes/lever).

Use a big ring (v-lever) and a small cog (road brake) and is is harder to turn the pedals.

Using a road lever and a v-type brake would be very powerful except the levers usually cannot pull enough cable to move the brake far enough to work.
    mtbtires.com