mtbr member

Avid BB7 to replace Avid Elixir 1, Need to replace rotor ?

I am going to replace my Elixir 1 brakes with BB7's, do I really need to change out the rotor too ? They are both 160mm rotors..

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Read Post # 6 and Post # 58

Those were from this thread.

mtbr member
    snip..
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    So the answer is... if I want to have even wear and better braking power, I should replace the rotors and not use the elixir rotors with BB7's...

let me know if this statement is wrong... in any way... thanks,

FKA Malibu412
    I'd try the BB7's with the Elixer rotors and see what kind of stopping power and wear pattern you get. A little pad contact/wear on the rotor arm is not going to hurt stopping power.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I am going to replace my Elixir 1 brakes with BB7's, do I really need to change out the rotor too ? They are both 160mm rotors..
    Totally depends on what rotor was speced with the brakes. If these are stock OEM E1's they almost always come with the G2 Clean Sweep rotors. All other Elixer models come with the HS1 rotor. The G2CS is the stock rotor that comes with a new set of BB7s as well. So you likely already have the G2 rotors. Take a look here and match up your rotors, Rotors | Avid | SRAM . If you do have the HS1 rotors, they can be made to work well with the BB7 caliper. It just takes a bit more fiddling to make sure the pads are hitting the rotors correctly, i.e. the pads aren't over topping the outside edge of the rotor. But before you get too worried about it, take a look at the link and see what you've got.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    My elixir 1's have the HS1 rotors. I tried the BB7's this morning with this rotor... Its hard to say if their would be an improvement with the rotor that came with BB7's unless I switch the rotors out and try that ride again..

Dont Rep me
    I've used Hope rotors with BB7 for two years, then transferred the Hope rotors to a new frame with new Hayes stroker brakes.
    As long as the rotor size is correct, you should be able to mix and match brands/models.
    And as with new pads or rotors, braking power returns to normal after a couple of rides to bed in the pads/rotor.

mtbr member
    Removed wrong statement.. sorry guys/girls.. ...
    Last edited by RajunCajun44; 09-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Am I allowed to back-pedal ? I actually tried the Clean Sweep rotor on a ride with steeper sections, and that rotor actually does make a difference over the HS1... The stopping power is better now with the G2 clean sweep...

My apologies to anyone that felt like I suggested they were wrong...