mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Avid BB7 Pad Clip and Compatibility

On the Avid BB7, there is a little retainer clip inside the caliper that helps secure the clip. It is one of three retention features, the other two being the spring that goes between the pads and the nipple on the back side of the pad that locates pad to piston. Older BB7's also used magnets on the pistons but the ones I have are newer and not magnetic.

On my caliper, the retainer clip broke off. Is this a problem? I noticed while riding that the brake was a little noisey...almost like the pad was bouncing around on the rotor...sort of a tinkling sound...not pad rub...but a faint bell-like noise. What you ya'll think?

Also, I just got a Fox 29 fork with the post-mount dick brake caliper mount. I will be installing my Avid BB7 on the fork. I assume I will not be able to use the adapter mount on the fork as the caliper body will mount directly to the fork. I am also assuming that the post mounts are located for 165mm rotors. I am running 180's. How do I account for the extra rotor size when mounting the caliper to the fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    See if SRAM will send you a new clippy thing.

You need an adapter like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Avid-Disc-Br...71227085a41946
    And probably longer bolts

Meh.
    The post mounts should be located for 160mm rotors... You need a +20mm post mount to post mount adapter. You WILL still use the CPS washer stack between the adapter and the caliper.

Your LBS can get you the new pad clip.