Thread: Avid BB7 Noise

mtbr member

Avid BB7 Noise

My BB7's make an interesting noise occasionally....just riding along, disengaged they will make a high pitched squealing noise. Rear brake only, pads are not touching the rotor....any ideas?

It quits when the lever is squeezed and then will come back.

Ski N Bike Tech
    A pad could be "floating". It could be falling into the rotor and then when you pull the lever an then the pad goes back to its natural spot. Then the riding on trail could be causing it fall back into the rotor.

May need a new spring clip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Check the rotor bolts for proper torque. They might have loosened slightly allowing the rotor to wobble side to side.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Dial the pads out 1 or 2 clicks away from the rotor and see if the noise continues.

The pad/pads mightn't rub when you spin the wheel and look at the rotor but one of them might be close enough to rub if there's a little bit of flex in the frame or axle when you're riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiNBike View Post
    A pad could be "floating". It could be falling into the rotor and then when you pull the lever an then the pad goes back to its natural spot. Then the riding on trail could be causing it fall back into the rotor.

May need a new spring clip.
    This sounds like the most Likley cause to me.....it seems to happen most when the pads are adjusted farther away from the rotor and least when the pads are closer. The bike has a few hundred miles on it and this has been happening on and off since new in July.

Rotor run out is true and the rotor bolts are tight.......its almost like a tuning fork / harmonic vibration type effect. I will take the pads out and try and make the spring clip tighter.

I wonder if a spot of grease on the backside of the pad itself would help?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    My BB7's make an interesting noise occasionally....just riding along, disengaged they will make a high pitched squealing noise. Rear brake only, pads are not touching the rotor....any ideas?
    It quits when the lever is squeezed and then will come back.
    Mine did that, although it only happened when going up a hill. There was no rubbing when in the stand. It was really annoying having to pull the brake lever lightly. I fixed it by pulling the wheel off, rotating the axle and then putting it back on.

No idea why.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Might want to check your hub bearing adjustment (check for side-to-side play at the rim). I've experienced occasional "scha-wing" sounds when my locknuts and cones backed out enough to cause play.