Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    190

    Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes

    Looking to switch from rim brakes to disc brakes and was wondering if there's any downsides to getting the Avid BB7 listings off of eBay. Seems like you can get the pair for about the 2/3rd the price of what you'd get for the pair from some of the online stores.

    Also, are there differences between the shapes of the rotors between years?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,462
    The only downside to buying off eBay is if it's not what it says it is, or if it's used and ....used up. You can't go wrong with BB7's, they're just good, reliable, strong brakes.

    As far as rotors go, there are different generations of clean sweep and HS rotors, but I think mostly the BB7's should come with clean sweeps. Beyond that I can't be much help to you.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,897
    BB7's rock! I just picked up one for the rear of my aging Rocket 88 and next month the front! I just need rims and one lever.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

  4. #4
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,312
    If you get BB7s - also get the Speed Dial 7 levers, for lever reach adjustability and some degree of fine modulation. The fully insulated Avid Full Metal Jacket or Gore RideOn cable housings are also highly recommended, due to the thick inner cable can cause binding, when worn. Lastly, the best Avid rotor is the Heat Shedding rotor(HS1).

    Combined together, this setup rivals many mid-grade hydraulic brakes. Make sure everything is installed correctly; lever pull, pads dialed-in correctly, etc.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    84
    I'm in the same boat, I want to upgrade my rim brakes to the BB7s. My frame has the mounts for the brakes, but my old XT hubs do not. My bike came with Speed dial levers, so I only need the brakes and new hubs or wheelset.

    My problem is that the current wheels I have (Mavic) are really good and light and the hubs are XT. In order to get the same performance, I would have to spend more than I want on the new hubs or wheelset just to get new brakes. I'm saving for a new bike, but it will take me at least another year or two before I can buy a new bike. I would like to improve the brake performance on the current bike so I won't kill myself before I get the new bike. Anyone has found decent hubs/wheelsets at a decent price?

  6. #6
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I want to upgrade my rim brakes to the BB7s. My frame has the mounts for the brakes, but my old XT hubs do not. My bike came with Speed dial levers, so I only need the brakes and new hubs or wheelset.

    My problem is that the current wheels I have (Mavic) are really good and light and the hubs are XT. In order to get the same performance, I would have to spend more than I want on the new hubs or wheelset just to get new brakes. I'm saving for a new bike, but it will take me at least another year or two before I can buy a new bike. I would like to improve the brake performance on the current bike so I won't kill myself before I get the new bike. Anyone has found decent hubs/wheelsets at a decent price?
    Mavic Crossmax St 26" Disc Wheelset Wheel 9mm QR Tubeless Mountain XC Bike New | eBay
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  7. #7
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    If you get BB7s - also get the Speed Dial 7 levers, for lever reach adjustability and some degree of fine modulation. The fully insulated Avid Full Metal Jacket or Gore RideOn cable housings are also highly recommended, due to the thick inner cable can cause binding, when worn. Lastly, the best Avid rotor is the Heat Shedding rotor(HS1).

    Combined together, this setup rivals many mid-grade hydraulic brakes. Make sure everything is installed correctly; lever pull, pads dialed-in correctly, etc.
    THIS is exactly what I would have said.... you know, had I had a chance to think about how to word it well... and if this guy hadn't said it first... yes, exactly that

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
    Looking to switch from rim brakes to disc brakes and was wondering if there's any downsides to getting the Avid BB7 listings off of eBay. Seems like you can get the pair for about the 2/3rd the price of what you'd get for the pair from some of the online stores.

    Also, are there differences between the shapes of the rotors between years?
    As long as they are for real and come with rotors, go for it. Are you coming from v-brakes? If so, you can use the levers you have. What are they? SD-7's are nice, but there are a number of others that will do you right as well. As far as cables/housing, I think Jagwire ripcords are really good and not too expensive.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    622
    I bought someBB7s off ebay to replace techtro novelas. Huge difference. I'm still using the original cable and levers, so I can't make any claims to the fine tuning available from the speed dials, but the better grip and adjustments at the caliper make it easier to do some fine-tuning for brake pull. Just use a cresent wrench to make sure your rotor is straight, and they're good. My only complaint is they require a star hex to adjust the backside instead of a standard hex. In time, the back should be able to be adjusted by hand, but they're still new enough that it's difficult to turn the knob by hand. I don't know if all BB7's are like this, but the one's I got are.

  10. #10
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    If you get BB7s - also get the Speed Dial 7 levers, for lever reach adjustability and some degree of fine modulation. The fully insulated Avid Full Metal Jacket or Gore RideOn cable housings are also highly recommended, due to the thick inner cable can cause binding, when worn. Lastly, the best Avid rotor is the Heat Shedding rotor(HS1).

    Combined together, this setup rivals many mid-grade hydraulic brakes. Make sure everything is installed correctly; lever pull, pads dialed-in correctly, etc.
    This.
    But I use Jagwire ripcord cable/housings, I'll also suggest the organic pads.
    One thing that I cannot stress enough, is the importance of squaring up the housing end with a file or dremmel after you cut to length. If you leave the burr there it will deform, affecting the power of the system and give a squishy feeling.

    Also... FYI, "star hex" correct name is Torx.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,200
    Wasn't there a huge thread on this where someone determined that an ebay seller was including counterfeit rotors? I'd look into that. It's not like BB7s are super expensive from more established sellers.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jerry68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    452
    Set up correctly, BB7 are as good as any hydraulics, and they are easier to maintain on the trail. The only place that they may lack is in really really long downhills.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Similar Threads

  1. Mechanical disc brakes
    By divernick in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM
  2. Mechanical Disc Brakes
    By kamidsake in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
  4. Best Mechanical Disc Brakes
    By CS2 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •