Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid BB7 Inboard adjuster knob frozen

Tags
bb7
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Schmucker 
#1 ·
Now what?
Rear brake started fading my last ride. No worries, figure it'd just be some of the normal adjustments or brake pad replacement.
Now, I see the issue seems to be something with the inboard adjuster. It doesn't turn in any direction. I even took the wheel off to get a better grip. Since its plastic I can't torque too hard with pliers (hand strength doesn't do anything)
The outboard knob moves fine.
Is there a way to disassemble the caliper to find the issue? Ideas?

#2 ·
wg said:
Now what?
Rear brake started fading my last ride. No worries, figure it'd just be some of the normal adjustments or brake pad replacement.
Now, I see the issue seems to be something with the inboard adjuster. It doesn't turn in any direction. I even took the wheel off to get a better grip. Since its plastic I can't torque too hard with pliers (hand strength doesn't do anything)
The outboard knob moves fine.
Is there a way to disassemble the caliper to find the issue? Ideas?
With the wheel off I'd use a vise grip with a rag on the knob and gently try to work it loose as a first step. You might want to download the technical service manual from sram http://sram.com/en/service/avid/tech_manuals.php

#5 ·
I had the same problem. I ended up breaking it and SRAM gave me a free replacement (I was honest with them too). The pre-08 BB7's can only be adjusted by the knob. If you pop the knob off a small rectangular metal piece is there. This will break easily. Your best bet is to take the caliper off, remove the pads, and try to get some solvent in there. The adjuster is really just a big screw. Clean the threads as best you can and lube it. Clean it all up once you get it to move so as to not contaminate the pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.