mtbr member
    May 2007

Avid BB7 to Hayes Stroker Trail - disappointment?

So, I was looking for more stopping power (especially in front), I had BB7's with 160's F/R, and just put on the Hayes Stroker Trail with 180's, and oh yea, I made the switch now to hydro's. I've still got some problems getting them to line up correctly (not much for adjustability) but I took them for a little ride just to see how they work. Basically, when I hit the front brake hard I would expect it to skid and I just can't. What I do notice is massive deflection and the front wheel looks like it pulls maybe 3/4" to the left, wow! It seems like I really have to pull the levers hard to actually get real stopping power too. I guess I was expecting more finger control and immediate response with the hydro's but it's just not there. What am I missing/expecting? I'm actually kinda disappointed and honestly feel like going back to the BB7's with maybe trying the jagwire ripcords with the 180's? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Make sure you've properly bed in the brake pads, they're mushy and don't stop well until you do this, then they will stop very hard. Should be able to lock up front and rear no prob

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As Yody said, make sure to bed the pads properly first....

One question though, what for are you running? the "wheel pulls to the left" sounds more like the fork flexing or the wheel shifting in the dropouts as a brake issue as such...

IME, the BB7s are already great brakes, so you shouldn't feel a night and day kind of difference. The change in rotor size should be noticeable though...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They came pre-bled but I dunno how to tell? I guess I'll have to read up on how to pre-bled hydro's and get one of those kits or whatever. I did lock-out the fork and now the wheel stays pretty centered when I brake hard, but I'd hate to have to do that on descents when I want to really get some stopping power and I like the action that I'm getting from the fork. Geeze, I still have a little alignment to do with spacers and such since they don't seem very adjustable...I wish I was riding? Do other's experience this? How do you get fork to not flex while still hitting the brake hard?

Keep the rubberside down
    Dec 2004
    I would google the problem....there's a crap load of information on how to align Hayes breaks, Bleading the brakes etc. I was just having a problem with my rear rotor constantly rubbing, I googled it and found a site that specifically dealt with the problem. Problem solved now, I'll be riding tomorrow. Hope that helps, oh by the way my LBS couldn't or wouldn't fix this problem, so I figured out a way to solve it for myself. Good Luck to you. I love these brakes, much better than mechanicals.

You want to skid with the front wheel? Why? I think your expectations of hydraulics are a bit high in any case, as there's nothing wrong with a well setup BB7 over most hydraulic brakes (let the flame fest begin you newbies with poorly setup brakes and/or weak hands).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGavin MTB
    They came pre-bled but I dunno how to tell? I guess I'll have to read up on how to pre-bled hydro's and get one of those kits or whatever. I did lock-out the fork and now the wheel stays pretty centered when I brake hard, but I'd hate to have to do that on descents when I want to really get some stopping power and I like the action that I'm getting from the fork. Geeze, I still have a little alignment to do with spacers and such since they don't seem very adjustable...I wish I was riding? Do other's experience this? How do you get fork to not flex while still hitting the brake hard?
    "bed" as in bed in the brake pads, not bleed the brakes....

It seems like the wheel may not be sitting well in the dropouts if locking the fork helped

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I switched from BB-7s to Stroker Trails about a year ago. The difference was not night and day, although I still prefer the hydros. I bought used from another forum and trimmed the hoses. They were a pain to set up properly compared to the BB-7s. They were much more difficult to get the proper alignment. I did get more finger control on the lever, but the brakes still engage without having to pull the levers all the way to the bars. I can still lock the wheels up if I try, but that's not what you really want to do.

The biggest difference I ever noticed with brakes, was switching from a 160mm to 185mm rotor on the BB-7s.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, got it dialed in...thanks OG, a little patience and some RTFM helped solve the problem. Like I tell my kids that grey hair is called experience so that's what I got! A little better alignment with the brake mounts to the brackets allows the mini adjustments needed, the hole is not round but kinda oval to slide back and forth and (mm's) but just the clearance I needed. Ya, was doin' nose wheelies in my driveway! I'll give it a spin tomorrow. BFFL, I was lookn for front wheel skid just to know I could apply max stopping power if I needed it. Previously, no matter how hard I pulled they would always spin, yea they are properly adjusted.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    10.2miles & 90mins later they worked great. Also, I guess I'd fall into the clydesdale category so all in all the extra stopping power is from the bigger rotor's and feels like stronger brake pad "squeezing" on rotor as well, gave me what I was needing. It feels like I can brake longer/harder too before I hear that grinding noise/feeling and then I pulse the levers a few times and continue...is that normal, is this what you experience when braking like this?