1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005

Avid BB7 brake lever compatibility

I am currently running some light weight V-brake set ups but would like to set up one of my bikes with a pair of the BB7's. I know that the best brake levers will most likely be the
    Avid Ultimates (black ops) for these brakes but will any V-brake lever work with these if they are set up properly?

I have done some searches but could not find any information on what levers do and do not work with the BB7's

It seems like after reading a lot of the threads about the brakes, people either love them or hate them but I would like to not get into that discussion if possible. Just what works and what does not work with these brakes.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Cheers.
    1 for the road and 1 for the dirt is more than enough.
    Light is Right

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bdc88
    I am currently running some light weight V-brake set ups but would like to set up one of my bikes with a pair of the BB7's. I know that the best brake levers will most likely be the
    Avid Ultimates (black ops) for these brakes but will any V-brake lever work with these if they are set up properly?

I have done some searches but could not find any information on what levers do and do not work with the BB7's

It seems like after reading a lot of the threads about the brakes, people either love them or hate them but I would like to not get into that discussion if possible. Just what works and what does not work with these brakes.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Cheers.
    Any V-brake lever works fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    So I should be able to match these up with my Extralite Ultralite levers to have a very light mech set up.
    1 for the road and 1 for the dirt is more than enough.
    Light is Right

On MTBR hiatus :(
    So I should be able to match these up with my Extralite Ultralite levers to have a very light mech set up.
    It's all about the amount of cable your lever pulls, and how much power you want out of your brakes.

Avid's Speed Dial levers, which allow adjustment to the amount of cable pulled, range from 20mm at the minimum setting to 26mm at the max pull setting. You can measure your Extralites' pull and compare it against the Avid range.

Riders are going to have their individual preferences, but it seems many prefer the "max" setting on Speed Dials. My preference is "max" for the front caliper, and somewhere in the middle for the rear.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I haven't found a V-brake lever yet that BB7's won't work with. Some do work better than others. Generally higher quality levers do feel and perform better. As Nate said, it does have quite a bit to do with the amount of cable that is pulled by the lever. My preference is also for the Avid Speed Dial levers, I like the added adjustability. But I've used setups with Shimano levers, and others, that have worked very well. Even some of the lowly Tektro levers work quite well with the 7's. I'd think that with a little fiddling you'd likely get your current levers to work well with them.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

over my head
    I use Speed Dials - they work great and you can get them for about $20.00 on ebay etc.
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara