mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Avid BB7 Actuator Arm Play

I'm installing a new set of Avid BB7s and am confounded by the rubbing on the calipers I get while riding. I installed and adjust them per the specs and on the bike stand they're fine but when riding, the pads rub - especially when turning. Today, while adjusting them for the umpteenth time, I noticed that there's some play or slop in the actuator arm (the part the brake cable attaches to) and if I push on it lightly, it will cause the pads to rub.

The video shows what I'm talking about. Anyone else with BB7s? Do yours do this?

Any help appreciated.

VID 20130626 123107 126 - YouTube

mtbr member
    By pushing the arm, you are forcing the pad to touch the rotor, no? That is not something that will happen while ridding.

If you are getting rubbing while riding, I don't think that has anything to do with it.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Merendon Junkie
    More than likely, the rubbing you are experiencing is being caused by flex in the fork/hub area. The bigger the rotor is, the more prone it is to rub because of flex. It happened on my camber when I had 203mm rotors on it. I lived with it as it didnt cause any significant amount of drag. I recently replaced the 203 rotor with a 180 and the rubbing while turning has stopped.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Really tighten down the quick releases.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Old school (but somewhat heavier and less sexy) Shimano quick releases certainly help with this. Have silenced a few bikes by using them.
    Most folks have some on older wheels or in a box somewhere. Give them a try. They clamp down very securely and stiffen things up.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Avid BB7 Actuator Arm Play

Quote Originally Posted by Bong_Crosby View Post
    I'm installing a new set of Avid BB7s and am confounded by the rubbing on the calipers I get while riding. I installed and adjust them per the specs and on the bike stand they're fine but when riding, the pads rub - especially when turning. Today, while adjusting them for the umpteenth time, I noticed that there's some play or slop in the actuator arm (the part the brake cable attaches to) and if I push on it lightly, it will cause the pads to rub.

The video shows what I'm talking about. Anyone else with BB7s? Do yours do this?

Any help appreciated.
    You must be running your pads very close to the rotor, especially the outer one. I can get my BB7s to do what you show, but I have to most the outer pad in 6-8 clicks from where I prefer to run it.

Set the inner pad as close to the rotor as possible without rubbings (the rotor should flex little, if at all, when you pull the lever). Then adjust the outer pad to get the lever feel you want.

I do not have pad contact until the brake lever is ~1 inch from the bar. Better control, modulation, lots of power. No rubbing while riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common