Thread: Avid BB7

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Avid BB7

I want to upgrade my Shimano m415 mechanical disc brakes currently 160 mm to some BB7's. Does anybody know of websites that you can buy these from that deliver to AU? Any opinions on whether I'm making the right decision upgrading to BB7 or should I go to juicy's?
    im an addict.how bout u?

mtbr member
    Some websites: www.jensonusa.com www.speedgoat.com www.pricepoint.com to name a few. There's a stack of online stores out there, you can do a search here if you want to find more. But you may want to hold off for a while since the Australian dollar stinks right now haha (i live in Australia also).

As for opinions, the BB7s are the best mechanical disc brakes, and would be the easy option as you already have mechanical levers to use with it. And if your levers are combined with your shifters, then you'd have to get new shifters too if you wanted hydro brakes. In terms of that or the juicy's, then it depends on which juicy's as it can be argued that the BB7s are better than some of the juicy's - given the right setup of the BB7s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Having both BB7s on one bike and XT and Hayes Strokers on 2 others, I'd say stick with the BB7s if you absolutely do *not* want to screw with bleeding brakes at one point or another. The BB7s stop really well and aside from being slightly heavier, it was a plug and play scenario during the install.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tmonck
    I want to upgrade my Shimano m415 mechanical disc brakes currently 160 mm to some BB7's. Does anybody know of websites that you can buy these from that deliver to AU? Any opinions on whether I'm making the right decision upgrading to BB7 or should I go to juicy's?
    I like my BB7s a lot. For a little better performance, I went with a 185 up front. I am very happy with them for the price. I am also very happy with my XT hydros on my other bike, but they would cost MUCH more to buy new.

For BB7 vs Juicy, it is a tough call. Whatever you can afford. Personally, I wouldn't bother with low-end Js unless they came on a bike, J7s are nice if you can find a good price.

Basically, it comes down to personal preference-either system will stop the bike when set up correctly.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd get BB7s instead of Juicy brakes. In fact, I just "upgraded" the Juicy 3s that came on my bike to BB7s w/ SD7 levers.

If you want to go with a set of hydros, go for something better than J's. J's are great when they're working, but they have more problems than I (and many other people) care to deal with. So if you want hydros, go look at reviews from brands like Shimano and Formula.