mtbr member

New question here. Avid BB7 2007 2008 2009 differences?

Anyone know what the differences are for the BB7's over these years?

All three years are going for about $50 each, but I wonder if there is any difference over the years, improvements, cost cutting, etc.

I am thinking of upgrading from my Hayes MX2's that are ...OK...but take a lot of squeezing, even after I had them tuned up and the rotor's straightened by a good LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The 08 and 09....

bb7s are identical. The difference is between the 08/09 and 07 models. For 08 the bb7 underwent somre refinements. Avid went from a cast caliper body to a forged body which is a bit stronger. They redesigned the pad adjustment knobs to be easier to turn. The knob for the out board pad is a little different in shape. The inboard knob, while it doesn't look much different does have the additional feature of having a fitting that accepts a torx head wrench to help should it become sticky or difficult to turn. It takes the same T25 torx as the rotor bolts, so the L shaped wrench that comes with the brakes works fine with it. Also the caliper body is a bit narrower. The flange in the caliper body where the torque arm enters the caliper was narrowed, and the torque arm was reshaped to make it a bit stiffer. Then of course there was the color change as well. The 07 bbs were all matte silver, the 08/09 bb7 is charcoal gray.

So is there a big difference in performance? Not really. The 08/09 bbs feel a bit firmer and a bit more positive at the lever in conjunction with the 08/09 SD7 lever. But other than that they're pretty much the same brake. I've got a set of 06s (identical to 07s) w/05 levers on my hardtail and a set of 08s on my FS bike w/08 levers. They perform identical with the exception of a little better lever feel noted previously for the 08s.

Either way you go 07, 07 or 09, they'll be a good upgrade to your MX2s. Get which ever you can get the best deal on.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks Squash, looks like I might try for the 08/09's If I can get them at the same price. Though that Jenson Hayes El Camino Ad up top looks interesting. Not sure I want to go hydraulic though, especially when the temps are going to be below freezing for the next few months!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Good observation, Squash. I ws thinking about splurging on a set of Juicy Ultimates, or Magura Marta SLs.......but after I rode both of them- I asked myself, "why?" The BB7s stopped just as good, and the modulation is just a hair less than those pricey hydros. I couldn't justify the additional $500 for those a brakes, and I am committed Weight Weenie!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How about the difference (performance and/or weight) btw a '04 BB7 with speed dial levers and '09. I bought the BB7's in '04 but actually think they had 2002 or something like that on the install guide.

As far as performance the only thing I have to compare them to are last year's Juicy Fives. I think they both work just fine but don't have any other reference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am having trouble confirming that the model year 2009 BB7 MTB version is charcoal gray, same as 2008.

This confusion can be a problem for folks who worry about asthetics because the older Avid kits are deeply discounted and it's sometimes tough to get 2 kits with matching model year.

Several larger vendors list the 2009 BB7 unit for MTB's as black with 2008 kit listed as dark gray or charcoal.

The Avid website is hopelessly obsolete and their spec spreadsheet does not show date detail for paint color changes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a set from Jenson that was supposedly 2009 and I also have a set from Performance Bike that was supposedly 2008. They are identical.

However, the 2009 models (set) come with mounting brackets/adapters for 160, 185 & 205mm rotors. Nice feature there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    I have a set from Jenson that was supposedly 2009 and I also have a set from Performance Bike that was supposedly 2008. They are identical.

However, the 2009 models (set) come with mounting brackets/adapters for 160, 185 & 205mm rotors. Nice feature there.
    Thnx for that info!! I should warn folks buying from Bluesky that they are unboxed, gutted kits in Saran Wrap with one bracket only. This is why their ordering form makes the customer pick rotor size and front or rear. It's also why their $5 cheaper than most lol.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lscman
    Thnx for that info!! I should warn folks buying from Bluesky that they are unboxed, gutted kits in Saran Wrap with one bracket only.
    Yep, that's where mine came from. When they showed up packaged in shrink wrap, I had a mental image of a bike factory, with half of it bringing parts in and shipping bikes out, and the other half bringing bikes in and shipping parts out
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Yep, that's where mine came from. When they showed up packaged in shrink wrap, I had a mental image of a bike factory, with half of it bringing parts in and shipping bikes out, and the other half bringing bikes in and shipping parts out

LOL , thats a good one .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just ordered one BB7 w/160mm rotor from Price Point. They have'em on sale until the 31st. My rear BB5 isn't working at all & today a tree jumped in front of me, destroying my saddle & flinging me into thorns so ordered a Sette saddle & the BB7. Probably put the better brake on the front when it arrives.