mtbr member
    Jan 2007

avid bb7 185mm...how does it fit?

how does the 185mm fit? i have 160mm on the front now and was looking to buy the 185mm...i just want to know how the brake fits on the bigger rotor? do you need to raise the brake up with something? what is that something called?

Going for a ride......
    You will need a new adaptor. If you currently have the caliper (brake) mounted directly to your frame or fork then you don't currently use an adapter and you have an IS type system so you would look to purchase an IS to IS 8" adapter.
    If you have "post mount" type brakes that are attatched to your frame or fork via a black adapter then you will just need a new Post to IS adapter to suit 8" rotors.

This thread may be a useful read:

what is IS Disc Mounts?
    energetix

Meh.
    New adapter has a different profile to set the caliper out further/in a different position.

Just go to your LBS, they'll get you all the right parts.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Your bb7 is a post mount caliper, you need to get a Pm-to-PM adapter if your fork is PM, or Pm-to-IS if it has IS tabs. The rear is IS (but the adapter is different from the front one)... if you are not certain about which to get... as Will recommended, just go to your LBS and they will hook you up..

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    i'v thought about doing the same thing, have you heard of any problems with the increased load on the fork? im guessing no real problems, but never hurts to ask
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

it varies from one manufacturer to the next... there is an increased load, so it would be best to stay within the manufacturers recommendation... however the 180/185 is a nice increase without having the added load of the 203mm (I run 203mm front rotors though )

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a question about the 185 mm bb7 system. I just burchased the bb7s for the front and back of my bike. The rear brake went on no problem. but the front brake mount does not fit . I have a tora 318, with IS mounts. The IS mounts on my bb7s line up perfectly with the mounts on my shock, but the mount is too thick, with the mount provided there is not enough space to fit the calipers between the fork and rotors, so my question is do they sell thinner IS mounts, and If so where can I get one...thanks and sorry for the hijack.

could you post up a pic???.... it sounds like you got one of the thicker mounts for some through axle forks.... does everything else align correctly??? (rotors ends at right height in the caliper, etc)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cant post a pic....but i was looking at my other bike wich has the juict 5s through QR front axle, and the mounting brackets look identical. is there any chance that the hub size on my front tires is different than the norm....after work ill try putting my wheelswith with the bb7 rotors into my juicy 5s to see if they line up....i dunno

funny story, i was riding my new bike with only the back brake around my house, i did a little bunny hop down a steep hill and the brake pad fell out when i landed....lol lucky for me it was late at night and there was no traffic and my seatpost was all the way down so i was able to drag my feet to a stop

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bentMywookie
    cant post a pic....but i was looking at my other bike wich has the juict 5s through QR front axle, and the mounting brackets look identical. is there any chance that the hub size on my front tires is different than the norm....after work ill try putting my wheelswith with the bb7 rotors into my juicy 5s to see if they line up....i dunno

funny story, i was riding my new bike with only the back brake around my house, i did a little bunny hop down a steep hill and the brake pad fell out when i landed....lol lucky for me it was late at night and there was no traffic and my seatpost was all the way down so i was able to drag my feet to a stop
    Get ye to your LBS! You have issues with your setup that you do not seem to understand. There should be no issue with room to fit the front brake and if the rear brake was setup properly it is impossible for the pad to fall out with the wheel installed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Going for a ride......
    A brake pad falling out due to a bunny hop doesn't sound right at all. I've got a Tora fork and had Hayes Sole IS mount brakes, now have XT post mount. First step is to install the rotor on your wheel, I guess you've done that. Then put the wheel back on the bike and put the caliper in position - does it fit? If it doesn't and you can't fiure out why then I'd take it to your LBS like advised. I'd also get the rear checked particularly if your pads are falling out.

I went for a trail ride with just a rear brake once and boy was it scary - I don't know weather it was the fact that you have half (if not less) of the braking power or the fact that my hands are so used to having one finger bracing against the two levers particularly on downhill sections.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah i have no idea why the pad fell out, especially considering the pads come pre mounted into the calipers when i purchased them.....yeah the rotor is installed and the caliper lines up well with the IS mount and looks like it would line up with the rotor, but there is pysically not enough room to fit the caliper inbtween the IS mount and the rotor.

geuss a trip to the LBS it is

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    just took a look at the whole setup after work today, and it totally fits...lol i was pretty buzzed last night when i was trying to install it maybe the wheel wasnt in the dropouts right i dunno....as for the brakepad falling out on the rear brake, i took a look at the pad that fell out, and i think it may have been defective, one of the tabs that holds the brake in the calipers was stubby and lacked the hook shape that the others have, so it wasnt able to lock into the caliper tightly......thanks for all the help anyways

mtbr member
    I've got a slight problem on my rear BB-7 brakes. The brake body / casting won't adjust as far as it should and disc rubs against the casting and cup/cone washers. Its like the disc is too far 'outboard'. I want to pull the bb7 more outboard, but it's at the end of its adjustment limit.

--One thought is to add a washer between the hub and bike frame which should have the effect of pushing the bb7 body outboard and disc inboard by the thickness of the washer. (I'm using Surly Karate Monkey nuts... for me that means installing them washer against hub, instead of washer between frame and skewer.)

--Another solution is to hand file the steel mount that the BB7 attaches to... This would thin the mount where it attaches to the frame by a millimeter or three, placing the disc back into the right part of the BB7 slot. The only problem I worry about is filed steel will rust... I'd have to repaint the puppy, but can't do that when is 25 degrees outside.

--I do NOT want to file the adjustment slots in the BB7 wider. That would work, but makes the part weaker.

Anybody been here before... that is finding out that the disc rotors don't align correctly in the BB7 body, and you are out of adjustment slot?

thanks,
    zip
    metro detroit

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bentMywookie
    just took a look at the whole setup after work today, and it totally fits...lol i was pretty buzzed last night when i was trying to install it maybe the wheel wasnt in the dropouts right i dunno....as for the brakepad falling out on the rear brake, i took a look at the pad that fell out, and i think it may have been defective, one of the tabs that holds the brake in the calipers was stubby and lacked the hook shape that the others have, so it wasnt able to lock into the caliper tightly......thanks for all the help anyways
    One pad is supposed to be different than the other... Did you try to use the wrong pad on the wrong side?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zipzit
    I've got a slight problem on my rear BB-7 brakes. The brake body / casting won't adjust as far as it should and disc rubs against the casting and cup/cone washers. Its like the disc is too far 'outboard'. I want to pull the bb7 more outboard, but it's at the end of its adjustment limit.

--One thought is to add a washer between the hub and bike frame which should have the effect of pushing the bb7 body outboard and disc inboard by the thickness of the washer. (I'm using Surly Karate Monkey nuts... for me that means installing them washer against hub, instead of washer between frame and skewer.)

--Another solution is to hand file the steel mount that the BB7 attaches to... This would thin the mount where it attaches to the frame by a millimeter or three, placing the disc back into the right part of the BB7 slot. The only problem I worry about is filed steel will rust... I'd have to repaint the puppy, but can't do that when is 25 degrees outside.

--I do NOT want to file the adjustment slots in the BB7 wider. That would work, but makes the part weaker.

Anybody been here before... that is finding out that the disc rotors don't align correctly in the BB7 body, and you are out of adjustment slot?

thanks,
    zip
    metro detroit
    Don't use a spacer on the skewer, because it'll just fall out when you remove the wheel. You can try adding a spacer under the locknut. You can get your disc tabs faced. Or you can carefully remove a little bit of material from the entire face of the adapter. Then thread the bolts in from the backside to clean up any threads that may have been distorted. You're all good.

I think the adapter is aluminum. I still have a Hayes adapter that I machined down. I never bothered to repaint it, just left it sandblasted.