mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0

I'm building up a GT Avalanche 3.0 frame I got used on Craigslist.

1) Fox 140mm front fork
    from Craigslist

2) Avid BB7
    from Craigslist: brake levers, cables, calipers, rotors (185mm front & rear)

I'm having issues on getting the calipers to "clear" the rotors (too far in..the rotors run into the caliper), or the opposite..they're too far out!

See pictures. The calipers came with the typical cone/race combo: 1 on each side of the bolt..is this correct? (V-brake calipers do this..)

For the front, I had to stack an ADDITIONAL race/cone to make the calipers "clear" the rotor. This doesn't seem right, what am I doing wrong?

For the rear, I had to add an additional black washer to make the caliper "clear" the 160mm rotor.. What I don't get, is this is a 185mm adapter, why should I have to add spacers to clear a 160mm rotor? BTW, it's a Hayes rotor. The 2nd 185mm rotor that came with the kit..NO HOPE of getting it to "clear"!!

The adapter reads "185mm F [ arrow ]", so I put that on the front with the "arrow pointing down".. that's what the "F" means, the "front"? The numerals are facing out. Similarly, the adapter that say "185mm R [ arrow ]"..I put that in the rear with the numerals facing out...arrow pointing down.

The only thing I can think of is the GT frame is doing something strange, & the Fox fork doing something strange. But, that doesn't sound right either?

Am I missing one of these:

Avid Adapter - BB7 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA

But, that doesn't make sense because the adapter I already have says "185mm F" & "185mm R"

???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_0437med.jpg  

Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_0438med.jpg  

Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_0439med.jpg  

Chillin the Most
    If Im not mistaken your adapters are backwards. The arrow on the Front should be pointing up and the arrow on the rear should be pointing forward.

Also looks like your conical washers are messed up, in the wrong configuration see pic below

mtbr member
    Your front caliper adapter is backwards. See the arrow on it? that is supposed to point in the direction of wheel rotation. Remove the extra washers, turn the adapter around and the front should be good.

The rear is backwards and is for a 185mm rotor not the 160mm you said you have. Get the correct size adapter, orient it in the right direction and loose the extra washers.

This is how a 160mm should look on the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-bb7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yep, you guys are right!

The arrow points "up" (or forwards), & the letter is inboards..not outboard like I had it.

It seems to work great, can't wait to get it out on the trail!

I read an article that says the BB7 levers (with red adjusting dial for leverage) is preferred for good modulation, is this what you guys use?

The previous owner used FR7 Avid levers (no red adjusting dial)

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I use 180/160, sd-7 levers and jagwire ripcord cables. Avids speed dial adjustment sets them apart from all of the others. My favorite brakes ever, but I've never spent over $250 for hydros so...

One day, when my wife isn't looking. I'm gonna buy avid ultimate levers. They are the best mech lever imo, but cost around $200 for a pair.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    I use 180/160, sd-7 levers and jagwire ripcord cables. Avids speed dial adjustment sets them apart from all of the others. My favorite brakes ever, but I've never spent over $250 for hydros so...

One day, when my wife isn't looking. I'm gonna buy avid ultimate levers. They are the best mech lever imo, but cost around $200 for a pair.
    I got a new set of Hayes Trail hydros for $150 off Ebay (free shipping, comes with rotors & brake levers..which have adjustable reach)..nice! For my 2004 Cannondale F400 (got frame used off Craigslist).

BB7 calipers & rotors go for ~$100, add brake levers it's $20 - $40 extra. Heck, almost the price of a Hayes Trail setup!

That grey Iron Horse Rogue in the background came with Hayes 9, it feels nice!

When I installed the BB7, the ease-of-setup was SWEET! I got that feeling of "BB7 better than hydros".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_7960_med.jpg  

Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_7961_med.jpg  

Avid bb7, 185mm/160mm for GT Avalanche 3.0-img_7962_med.jpg  

Last edited by chimpanzee00; 02-13-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Not hydro hatin'. In fact, I'm gonna give a pricier pair of Hayes a run on a new trials rig I ordered. Can't wait.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post

I recently got a used Cannondale F400 (2003), it has Cannondale brake levers. I put on Forte V-brakes + Jagwire teflon coated cables for the front, & the feel is so smooth I thought it was hydro!

I was at a bike shop, & checking out some Giant disc brake hardtails ($600 pricepoint). I was shocked to find out that a hydro feeling front brake was in fact..mechanical!

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00 View Post
    yep, you guys are right!

The arrow points "up" (or forwards), & the letter is inboards..not outboard like I had it.

It seems to work great, can't wait to get it out on the trail!

I read an article that says the BB7 levers (with red adjusting dial for leverage) is preferred for good modulation, is this what you guys use?

The previous owner used FR7 Avid levers (no red adjusting dial)
    Awesome glad you got that sorted congrats!!

As for levers, Ive used BB7s in the past and thats what I used, Speed Dial levers are indeed the way to go. In fact I just recommended the BB7 w/SD levers to one of my buds whos loving them, they def make s big difference.