mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Avid BB7 185 rotor options

Looking to replace my stock rotors which came with my BB7's.Looking to increase to 185 f/b.I live in PA. where I experience alot of very steep rocky descents so superior heat shedding/braking power are a must.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by shackleton47; 12-02-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: x

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Looking to replace my stock rotors which came with my BB7's.Looking to increase to 185 f/b.I live in PA. where I experience alot of very steep rocky descents so superior heat shedding/braking power are a must.
    Thanks.
    Do it, but really only need to use a bigger rotor on the front. The G2 works well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    You will want something with as much ventilation as possible (greater surface area of disc exposed to the air). G2's are great (I have the 160's...get hot enough to fry eggs, but never seem to loose power...BB7's are awesome), but I would also look at G3's and some other manufacturers. Ask LBS to hear their suggestions as well.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I personally prefer the G2CS over any other disc that Avid makes right now. As shiggy mentioned, run one size bigger on the fronts than the rear. Works much better to distribute the braking forces.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    G2's are great (I have the 160's...get hot enough to fry eggs, but never seem to loose power...BB7's are awesome), but I would also look at G3's and some other manufacturers.
    G3 is a 180mm rotor, not 185, and won't work properly due to the difference in pad width between the BB5/BB7 and the newer Avid calipers. More details in some other threads -- someone posted a picture once that shows the wider BB7 pad chewing into the spokes of a G3 rotor.

By the way, I ride 185/160 BB7s with G2 cleansweeps on my 29er, and it's just a huge amount of braking power. And I weigh 185 pounds before I get dressed in the morning, let alone strap on a hydration pack and all that... good stuff. You'll need the appropriate mounting bracket for the swap.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett79 View Post
    G3 is a 180mm rotor, not 185, and won't work properly due to the difference in pad width between the BB5/BB7 and the newer Avid calipers. More details in some other threads -- someone posted a picture once that shows the wider BB7 pad chewing into the spokes of a G3 rotor.

By the way, I ride 185/160 BB7s with G2 cleansweeps on my 29er, and it's just a huge amount of braking power. And I weigh 185 pounds before I get dressed in the morning, let alone strap on a hydration pack and all that... good stuff. You'll need the appropriate mounting bracket for the swap.
    Hmmm...bike shop by my college tried to sell me a G3 when I bent my front G2. Again, I have the BB7's, and I would trust that the LBS wouldn't sell me a piece of gear that was not compatible.

I had spare G2's, so not an issue, but an interesting situation that I seem to have avoided

And 180 and 185 is not a problem...just a different spacer. But a piece of info I apparently did not pay attention to. Good catch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1 on the G2 clean sweeps. Huge amount of power, and I go about 225 in full gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you are right , +1 on the G2 clean sweeps. Huge amount of power, and I go about 225 in full gear.thank you