mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Avid BB5'S or Shimano M485(mineral oil)

I have both set of braks....currently I am using the BB5's but recently bought a set of barely used Shimano M485's. I've been wanting hydraulic for a while. These came off a new bike and were swapped out for Juicy 7's. My friend who works in a bike shop knowing I could use them purchased them from him for 75 bucks and I in turn paid my friend. But in reading in a few places online, It looks as though they are not that great. Did I pretty much pay for what I got? Should I swap or stick to what I already have? I'd still like to try them out. And can I use my current BB5 disk with these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Run the shimanos. I have a friend who has them on his cannondale chase and I love how they work on his bike. A definate improvement over the bb5's imo.

ISO Flowy Singletrack!
    Dec 2008
    Many different opinions on this, but I choose to run mechanicals. Simple to set up, easy to adjust and you can service them with an allen key and a little lube.

sweet!
    I love me some Avid mechanical brakes, having said that after using hydraulic brkes this last season I'm never going back to mechanical brakes again, just my two cents.
    cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez