mtbr member
    Mar 2010

avid bb5 vs tektro novela brakes

How do these mechanical disc brakes compare? I test rode a specialized hardrock that had tektro novela's, and a specialized p1 am that had avid bb5's.

The bike store says the bb5's are better, and I notice the pricier bikes have them, however just playing around doing 5mph or under stoppies, the tektro's seemed like they might have been a bit stronger. Going about 5mph sitting doan and squeezing the brakes hard, the back tire would lift off pretty fast, while still rolling.

On the bb5's however, going 5mph sitting down, and squeezing the brakes hard the back tire wouldn't lift until a bit later when the bike was pretty much stopped. They seemed to be in good adjustment, the disc brake arm was not bottoming out on the cable housing or anything. Is it just a matter of them not being broken in, and perhaps the tektro's were? Or are the bb5's not all they are cracked up to be?

Also, can upgrading just the pads alone make a difference on either?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The BB5s (and 7s) are amazing once bedding in. They are much higher quality then the tektros, and are easier to adjust. I say they are worth the price.

mtbr member
    Get The BB7. More Adjustability for little pennies more compared to BB5.

Read the reviews of the BB7. Those are nothing short of amazing. I just bought the BB7s, i'll see if thats right.