mtbr member

avid bb5 vs tektro aquila

just got the wifes bike from bikes direct today and assembled it, motobecane 700 ht, seems unbeatable for the price so i went with it.... my only question is on the site it says it comes with one of the two brakes listed above in the title.......hers came with the tektros, which ones are better and why? any opinions on the aquilas?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaCalderaXC View Post
    just got the wifes bike from bikes direct today and assembled it, motobecane 700 ht, seems unbeatable for the price so i went with it.... my only question is on the site it says it comes with one of the two brakes listed above in the title.......hers came with the tektros, which ones are better and why? any opinions on the aquilas?
    BB5 are goods, but if your tektro are working fine, go with it. When they crap out, replace the whole thing with BB7 and SD7 levers. Or go hydro depending on your preferences and budget.

Now to the "why" part... BB5 have their weak spot at the pads adjustments and how good the pads stay steady... They float too much and needs readjustment often. But they work and are dirt cheap. Don't have on-hand experience with your tektro, but it's still "tektro" brakes. If it works, good for you.

The BB7 have pad adjust on both side and are very steady, no floating at all. Plus they are built stiffer and easy to adjust. And not expensive at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

informant
    You're not dealing with a huge difference between the two brakes. Both are mechanical, and both are fairly introductory-level disc brakes. They'll give you more stopping power than a rim brake, but neither one is going to offer much in the way of modulation. As far as resale value goes, the BB5s carry the Avid name, but the overall difference in usability and functionality isn't significant.

If you find yourself looking for more performance, the BB7s are a solid option, as are many of the hydraulic systems.

mtbr member
    just picked up the bike for my wife to get into xc, she has never rode anything but wally world next and kent bikes, and shes only about 145-150 lbs....so im sure she will be pretty stoked about the performance of this bike compared to what she used to ride.....i run hydros on my caldera, but thats only cause im 270lbs and need to stop! (and the bike came with em) LOL i had good luck with bb5 bb7 and tekrto v brakes in the past, but the hydros on my kona and the aquilas on the wifes are all new to me...

mtbr member
    i was hoping her bike would come with the bb5, but it didnt, so i was just looking for some info, thanks guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I once bought a bike from bikesdirect for my son, and it came with tektro mechanical disc brakes, and I found they worked better than the shimano (mec disc) that came on my trek and also the tektro was better than the avid bb7 I bought to replace that shimano on my trek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b1rdie View Post
    I once bought a bike from bikesdirect for my son, and it came with tektro mechanical disc brakes, and I found they worked better than the shimano (mec disc) that came on my trek and also the tektro was better than the avid bb7 I bought to replace that shimano on my trek.
    they look like a decent setup, and work well with me test running them on the hills in my back yard.....and theyre not even adjusted or tuned yet, i just threw em together....if i get enough speed and mash the front brake it does a mean endo with my huge azz on it, i think she will be happy with it...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaCalderaXC View Post
    they look like a decent setup, and work well with me test running them on the hills in my back yard.....and theyre not even adjusted or tuned yet, i just threw em together....if i get enough speed and mash the front brake it does a mean endo with my huge azz on it, i think she will be happy with it...
    Yeah, every body says BB7 are the way to go, but it doesn't mean everything else is junk.

The big thing about BB7 are :

1. Dual pad adjust
    2. Concentric washer to align the caliper
    3. Proven performance for years and not over-priced.

Of those 3, the first 2 are already available on many other mech calipers, from different company (shimano, tektro, etc).

It's really the third one, paired with being one of the first mech caliper to present a real alternative to the hydro for competition level, that made it a sure shot for a mechanical set-up. Reputation is a big thing too when it comes down to consumer choice between two manufacturer.

Thing is, Avid did not took advantage of this to go brag about it and start to over-price it.

Hayes MX2 are mechanical calipers which gives you a phenomenal braking power, very stiff feeling, and consistent power. They are only adjustable on the inner pad, and don't use any concentric washer for alignment... So it's a bit harder to align them, but if your rotor is straight, it's a matter of seconds.

So performance wise, there is many options. But when it comes down to adjustments options, user-friendly and durable caliper, that doesn't poke a hole in your pocket, the BB7 are hand down the best choice to make. You can get similar performance with other brands, but you know that you can't go wrong with the BB7.

Now housing and cable quality have a big influence on the performance of any mechanical brakes, and so do the levers. If there is somewhere not to go cheap, it's the cable/housing setup. Even more if you run full housing and plan on keeping it for years that way.

Have fun with the new bike !

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!