Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Avid BB5 vs. Juicy 5 Opinions

I've been looking for a new bike, and have narrowed it down to a couple bikes. One of the differences that has be a little worried is that on the cheaper bike it's running BB5's and on the more expensive bike it has Juicy 5's. I read up on the reviews here, and it seems like the Juicy 5's have a serious problem with squealing "turkey gobble", and almost every reviewer lately has mentioned it. The BB5's get knocked for other things but not for the squeal.

The Juicy 5's are the more expensive brakes, but I just want a brake that works quietly and effectively. I've not owned a bike with discs ever, so hopefully someone can share their opinion on the matter. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll approach slowly.

BB5 and Juicy5 are both great in certain situations, but I think a bad comparison. It is rare that 2 bikes would be comparable in any fair way with these as the brake options. It is likely that many other components would be different. I think a better question would be which 2 bikes you are looking at, and pick based on what you are looking to accomplish.

All that said, The Juicy 5 are fine, yes they make some noise, but the complaints about that are just that. They are very powerful at a relatively low weight. The BB5's are easy to work on, and are really consistent. However comparing these is like comparing the Jeep Wrangler to the Grand Cherokee. they are both fine products, but really have different strengths.

Former Bike Wrench
    The BB5 is a far inferior brake to the Juicy 5and not a good comparison. It uses much smaller brake pads and simply cannot provide even close to the power of the Juicy 5. The BB7 versus the Juicy 5 is a much better comparison as both have loads of power. The BB7 provides a very reliable brake that is not intimidating to most noob's to work on. The Juicy on the other hand IME of having owned both provides much more modulation of its power and of course does not require periodic cable and housing changes. It does tend to be a little finicky at times but is really very easy to work on. Both make noise in wet weather with the stock sintered metallic pads, using either organic (in dry weather) or semi-metallic (in wetter weather) alleviate most of the noise issues.

mtbr member
    I prefer the BB7's over the others.

My name is John Hymen, Buster is my brother.

mtbr member
    BikesDirect has a BB7 front/rear kit for $110 so I may just get the bike bike with the Juicy 5's and order BB7's if they really suck. I can't imagine them being so bad, but there are some pretty negative reviews out there. The last thing I want is a new bike with loud and/or weak brakes.

curious noob
    I run BB5s. I think they're pretty powerful, but could definitely be more so. I find them really easy to use and configure. The pad adjustment is really simple and straight forward. My only gripe is the noise. Yep, the BB5s are noisy. The rear brake is practically silent, but the front brake turkey gobbles a fair bit . I have not found a solution or cause for this. I've remounted it, taken several hard stops, remounted the rotor, configured the heck out of it. I've narrowed it down to 2 possible suspects: Either there is something subtly off with the front rotor, or it's related somehow to the ever so slight play in my front hub.

These brakes came with my bike and I like them a lot. I have no desire to replace them with hydraulics. However, if I had to buy mechanicals, I would have gone with the BB7s. If I do buy hydraulics, I'm eyeing the elixirs.
    Science works.

"Beliefs are what divide people. Doubts unite them."-Sir Peter Ustinov

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have Juicy 5's and have found them to be good brakes. Mine aren't loud at all (only exception is in the rain). I've ridden the BB5's and don't think there is any comparison between the two. The Juicy 5's are better, and a bike that comes stocked with Juicy's generally has higher level components all around.

P.S. $110 for a BB7 Kit isn't super.

curious noob
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    I have Juicy 5's and have found them to be good brakes. Mine aren't loud at all (only exception is in the rain). I've ridden the BB5's and don't think there is any comparison between the two. The Juicy 5's are better, and a bike that comes stocked with Juicy's generally has higher level components all around.

P.S. $110 for a BB7 Kit isn't super.
    How would you say the juicies are better? I've tried them out, and they seemed weak, probably because they were not bedded in. Just genuine curiosity.

And yeah, looking at ebay I'd say try to get them for 90-100 dollars.
    Science works.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Just as an update I've ordered the Cliff 29r Pro that comes with Juicy 5's. I'm going to ride it out, literally, and see how they perform. If the brakes start to make noise I'm going to sell them on craigslist and get a set of BB7's or Deore XT's. The Deore XT's are more than twice the price, but the reviews are so good it seems worth it.

Oh, and you're totally right about the BB7's. Looks like they have them for $45.99 each at Jenson: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+09.aspx. The lever kit is another $18.

mtbr member
    There are far more people running Juicy's that are quiet than make noise. On here you are just hearing those that have problems.

With the exception of my current post on the, now fixed, faint jingle, my Juicy's are quiet quiet quiet. That jingle only lasted three rides. Took 5 mins to fix it.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drbroccoli
    How would you say the juicies are better?.
    Well, for one thing Juicy's have greater pad area. And another is that hydro's have greater force potential as you clamp down harder and harder compared to wire driven brakes.

I've got bikes with both Juicy's and BB5's. Juicy's win hands down IMO.
    Nobody cares...........

curious noob
    Does greater pad area mean slower wear or are there other advantages? I'm pretty sure the BB7 uses the same pads as the juicies.

How did you fix the jingle? That sounds like of like what my bb5s do.
    Science works.

mtbr member
    Does greater pad area mean slower wear or are there other advantages? I'm pretty sure the BB7 uses the same pads as the juicies.

How did you fix the jingle? That sounds like of like what my bb5s do.
    BB7's do use the same pad's as Juicy's. I thought the OP was comparing
    BB5's to Juicy's.

The fix was easy, remove pads, remove retainer, bind the two small curved sections slightly, reinstall. Viola, problem fixed. I think it was due to new pads that may be slightly different than the previous pads coupled with having them jammed in which cause the retainer to ever
    so slightly be spread apart. They are quiet as a church mouse now.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did you order the bike online, or are you getting it through an lbs, 2heads? If the latter, maybe the bike shop could swap out the brakes for you at a reasonable price (before you use them)?

curious noob
    Do you mean the metal spreading clip as the retainer? What do I do? Bind it? Sorry, I just don't quite understand.
    Science works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    Did you order the bike online, or are you getting it through an lbs, 2heads? If the latter, maybe the bike shop could swap out the brakes for you at a reasonable price (before you use them)?

I ordered online from BD, and it comes with Juicy 5's. I'll be sure to report what I find, as it seems like opinions are a mixed bag. The people who have had problems REALLY don't like the brakes, and are even leaving Avid altogether for Hayes or Shimano products. But as a previous poster mentioned, the people who really like the brakes aren't complaining, they're out riding and smiling . I hope I fall into the latter category, but I'll try some of the suggestions that have been mentioned.

Unless the brakes do not work, or seem seriously defective in some way I will not contact BD about this. I've heard Avid support is very good, and they will often send out a replacement or an upgrade in order to keep customers happy. But as I mentioned before, I'll probably buy some Deore XT hydros if the Juicy 5's don't work out. Life is too short to ride on parts you're unhappy with. Change em, pay the money, and enjoy your ride...at least that's my feeling on the matter.

mtbr member
    Do you mean the metal spreading clip as the retainer? What do I do? Bind it? Sorry, I just don't quite understand.
    +1, got any pics or a more detailed explanation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    +1, got any pics or a more detailed explanation?
    No pics, but here's his thread:
    Juicy pad retainer making jingling bell like sound.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

curious noob
    Damn, looks like I have a different problem. I tried putting my finger on the clip and the sound persists. I think "turkey gobble" sounds like a more accurate description, but I don't want to pull this thread off course.
    Science works.

mtbr member
    This way they grip the tits on the top of the pads better.
    Haha, I support any solution that involved gripping tits.

mtbr member
    Quick question: for bleeding, do I absolutely need the Avid kit? I like doing my own work, but is there any other way to get the bleeding done, and do it right, without buying their proprietary syringe kit?

mtbr member
    Quick question: for bleeding, do I absolutely need the Avid kit? I like doing my own work, but is there any other way to get the bleeding done, and do it right, without buying their proprietary syringe kit?

I wish someone would post up the technical/correct name for the little metal threaded piece you screw into the caliper. That is the primary important part you need from the kit. They are available but you need to know exactly what to google for.

Anyone?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    I wish someone would post up the technical/correct name for the little metal threaded piece you screw into the caliper. That is the primary important part you need from the kit. They are available but you need to know exactly what to google for.
    The hose barb screws into the hose. The compression fitting (or olive) goes over the barb. They are included in the bleed kit, which is pretty much a necessity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The bleed kit is really the way to go. It includes everything you'll need, other than something to cut the hoses with. I cut my hoses with a new razorblade, but you have to be careful to get a clean cut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel

Anyone?
    I don't know what they're called, I just spent the $30 bucks and bought the kit instead.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/129...d-Kit-2009.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast