^ That's what I do

Avid BB5 rotor touching pads

This started yesterday. The front rotor is rubbing against the pads and making a lot of noise. I didn't do any adjustments to the brake, it just started by itself. I read the manual but can't figure out what to do. Can anyone help?
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

Look down at the rotor in the caliper when the wheel is spinning. Is the rotor warped, i.e. out of true, a bit and is intermittently contacting the pad(s)? Or is it in constant contact with one pad? Have you read the disc brake FAQ in the upper right corner of this page?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

^ That's what I do
    The disc brake faq doesn't help with this situation. The rotors is almost completely rubbing against the pad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There are 3 adjustments you can make:

1) Adjust static pad position: Turn the inner red dial to move the stationary pad away
    2) Adjust moving pad position: Re-tension the brake cable by disconnecting it and reconnecting it.
    3) Adjust rotor centering: Readjust the position of the caliper body by loosening the 2 CPS hex bolts, repositioning the caliper body, and then tightening the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopping_Rocks
    The disc brake faq doesn't help with this situation. The rotors is almost completely rubbing against the pad.
    It might have if you had a warped rotor, but rather sounds like your rotor is pressing against one pad or the other, but your description isn't all that good so not sure what exactly is going on. Which pad is the disc rubbing constantly against, the inboard or outboard pad? If you've tried the adjustments moogle suggests, there is also the possibility you may need to use spacers to change the position of the rotor or caliper.

ps You did make sure your wheel is centered in the dropouts?
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 10-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

^ That's what I do
    Ok I got the pad/rotor situation figured out. I had to adjust the outboard pads position. Now the problem is that the brakes don't have very much power. I have to pull the brake levers in almost all the way to have any effect. I did adjust the barrel adjuster on the lever but now it is "sticking out" (I had to move the barrel adjuster so far it's almost all the way off). Do you think re-tensioning the cable would correct this? Thanks guys.