mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Avid BB5 pad centering issues

hi,

I just recently upgraded from a GF Marlin to a GF Cobia that has BB5 disc brakes. I noticed that the front brake rotor makes contact with the pads. After closer inspection I discovered that the pad actuated by the brake lever (outer pad) was making contact with the disc and not the stationary pad. All of the barrel adjusters are screwed all of the way in. The rotor is not bent and the wheel is in true. From what I have seen on the Avid installation manual the method of adjusting the moving pad (outer pad) is to adjust the barrels on the cable. Is there any other way to adjust the pad, or do I need to completely reinstall and re center the brake mechanism.

thanks

iRonic
    I think all you have to do is loosen the brake cable bolt and back the actuating arm off some then re-tighten it. Even if you go too far, you can then use the barrel to snug it up a bit if need be. Best to get it just right with the cable slack, though. It's one of the problems of not being able to adjust the outboard (actuating) pad, unlike the BB7.
    Ron

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I loosened the brake cable bolt and backed the actuating arm off all of the way and it still rubs.

iRonic
    Guess it's time to re-center it then.

But check that the wheel is centered in the drop out first!
    Ron

tough guy
    sounds like you're going to have to loosen the caliper mounting bolts and redo them, directions should be in the manual

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The brakes have been re-centered, but the pads still rub. I looked at the pads a little closer and the actuating pad is not parallel with the stationary pad. It is just one corner of the actuating pad that is touching the rotor.

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think I had the same issue, but there is a solution. I hope I make it clear with my photos (It's not easy to position the camera perfectly vertical to the rotor).

In the first photo you can see that the left -outer pad- is touching the rotor because it is not perfectly paralleled. The retractor spring pushes the upper side of the pad so the lower half touches the rotor.

In the second photo you can see the solution: a tiny rubber band -not too tight- hold the pads parallel. I hope that will help you.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Last edited by selin; 04-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.