mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Avid BB5 Locked-Up

I recently purchased a used pair of BB5s from a riding buddy. During installation/adjustment, the outboard adjustment knob popped out. The plunger pushed all the way out and is now locked against the inboard brake pad. I cannot unseat the pads and it looks like the only way to access the plunger is by completely disassembling the brake. Am I getting in too deep? Should I just send the unit back to Avid and let them fix it? The body of the brake is held together by dimpled torx bolts. I usually associate those types of bolts as a warning to hacks like myself. Cable companies used to use those on their cable boxes.

Help?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yeloyeti
    I recently purchased a used pair of BB5s from a riding buddy. During installation/adjustment, the outboard adjustment knob popped out. The plunger pushed all the way out and is now locked against the inboard brake pad. I cannot unseat the pads and it looks like the only way to access the plunger is by completely disassembling the brake. Am I getting in too deep? Should I just send the unit back to Avid and let them fix it? The body of the brake is held together by dimpled torx bolts. I usually associate those types of bolts as a warning to hacks like myself. Cable companies used to use those on their cable boxes.

Help?
    I think you have a BB7. The BB5 does not have an outboard adjuster knob or the truss bolts (which are structural but do not hold the one-piece caliper body together).

Try to back off the inner pad. You may need to pop off the red plastic knob and use pliers. Once the pads are out the outer pressure foot will just push back into place with a bit of help from a flat blade screwdriver. Turn the outer knob all the way counterclockwise first.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm having the exact same problem. Shiggy, could you clear up some things sfor me? Is the inner pad the one on the hub side of the brake? And you back it off by turning the red knob on the hub side counter clockwise (or in this case popping off that red knob and turning that little stub of metal with some pliers?)

What is a pressure foot and how do I help it with a screwdriver?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I think you have a BB7. The BB5 does not have an outboard adjuster knob or the truss bolts (which are structural but do not hold the one-piece caliper body together).

Try to back off the inner pad. You may need to pop off the red plastic knob and use pliers. Once the pads are out the outer pressure foot will just push back into place with a bit of help from a flat blade screwdriver. Turn the outer knob all the way counterclockwise first.
    Yikes! tried that, and I bent/twisted the, I think its the foot screw that the inboard adjustment knob is used to turn. I don't know why its so stuck! Or how I managed to torque it, is it made out of Al or something?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the tech manual link. I couldn't find it on the website.