^ That's what I do

Avid BB5 - "break in" period

Hi guys,

I just got my 2008 Rockhopper Disc 29er a few days ago. I love it. After a few rides though, the front disc is making a squealing sound when I pull the lever. It does it when you are going fast or slow. The rear brake is fine, no noise at all. Is this part of the normal break-in period that new brakes (and bikes) have? I've never had disk brakes before so this is new to me. Thanks
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

Have you read the disc brake FAQ in the upper right hand corner of this page?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I have an 08 Rockhopper Disc with BB5 and they make no noise. Just bought a SC Heckler with Juicy 3's and they howl like crazy! Check out the brake thread, Juicy Warble is an endless post. Really like the BB5, not so much the Juicy 3's. AVID is known for loud brakes, some can deal with it, others can't ; I cannot, upgrading to Formula's really soon!!!

mtbr member
    My BB5's have gone through times of being loud, but that's usually when the pad/rotor gets contaminated or for some reason I don't know, lol. There have been times when I didn't do anything to them and they would howl like crazy. Generally just aligning everything fixes the problem.

^ That's what I do
    I never noticed that FAQ before. That answers my questions, thank you.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory
    AVID is known for loud brakes, some can deal with it, others can't ; I cannot, upgrading to Formula's really soon!!!
    Avid brakes don't squeal more than other models. Pad material, correct installation, good bedding-in-procedure, no contamination of the pads and rotors - these are important issues towards the problem. In german bike forums there are many people that have noise issues with the Formulas ! Switching to organic pads is one of the more successful advices for many riders.