mtbr member

Avid BB five spring tension adjustment screw

i was experimenting with the spring adjustment screw in my BB5's and was dumb enough to completely remove the screw. now it won't go back in. any advice?

how serviceable are BB 5's? i can usually take most components completely apart to clean and re-lube them, but i can't see how, or if, the pistons come out of this brake.

mtbr member
    so i called Avid to ask them about this. they told me to take it to my local bike shop. none of the mechanics at my bike shop know what to do with it either. some help those tech support guys are!

~Disc~Golf~
    there's a spring adjustment screw on BB5's?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...ce%20list).pdf go to page 11 on that document. the part i am talking about is the "anchro bolt/return adj screw which threads into the torque arm. it seems that once this bolt is backed out too far, it does not go back in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is there more to the story then they told you just to take it to the LBS? If not why have a tech support center then?

Must of been an easy call for that person. You did what? Oh sorry you have to go to a LBS with it.... ok onto the next call.

Rub it............
    Unfortunately, when you call SRAM, all repair issues must be done by an authorized dealer. Your LBS. They do not direct sell to the end consumer - you. So all repairs to Sram products must go through your LBS.

BTW, why were you "experimenting" with anything on those brakes? If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Now its broke and YOU can't fix it.

mtbr member
    i called in the morning as a consumer and they gave me the brush-off. Yes, the guy literally just said "take it to the bike shop" as soon as i described my problem. then i took it to the shop, where i work, and asked all my co-workers and none of them could figure out how to get that screw back in there. so i called SRAM from the shop and asked as a bike shop employee. they were slightly more helpful but basically said i am screwed. they technician i called said he did not have a bb5 brake in front of him to play with, so he does not know and they can't do anything to help.

my theory is that the screw has a "point of no return" where the spring slips off and the adjuster screw cannot go back in. it still works like this but it seems like a lousy design to have a adjuster screw that allows the spring to disappear into oblivion when you back it out 0.01mm too far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't have a BB5 in hand to look at, but 3 sets of BB7s from various years all have the same setup with the return adjuster. Pretty sure the BB5 is the same way but I don't have it to look at.

It might be easier to remove the caliper from the mounts, but if you look at the inside of the lever arm, you'll see that the threads of that screw are totally exposed and butt up against a stiff wire flat coil spring that is in the housing body. You're probably just encountering resistance from that spring mashed up against the arm threads, so if you push it away with an electronics screwdriver or a pick, you can probably thread in the adjuster screw easily as long as the threads weren't damaged.

It's not a bad design. It works...not a huge difference, but it works for what it is.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    If you work at a LBS, just call in and say its broken, do a warranty replacement and be done with it. Sure it may not be the most ethical thing, but Sram really is not helping.