mtbr member

Avid bb-7's w/165mm

I am running this setup on my Gary Fisher Rig with Avid Ultimate levers and absolutely love the power and simplicity. When I ordered the caliper adapter, it showed one adapter for both size rotors, 160mm and 165. I had to add an extra spacer to the adapter to get proper clearance, but still have some clearance issues with the top of the rotor knicking the caliper. Has anyone else had this problem?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You have the older Avid BBDB 165mm rotor, with the larger cutouts. Now, add another concave washer on both sides of the CPS adjustment bolts, to make the rotor clear the top of the caliper........done!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HOG farmer
    I am running this setup on my Gary Fisher Rig with Avid Ultimate levers and absolutely love the power and simplicity. When I ordered the caliper adapter, it showed one adapter for both size rotors, 160mm and 165. I had to add an extra spacer to the adapter to get proper clearance, but still have some clearance issues with the top of the rotor knicking the caliper. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Is this what you have - 165mm rotor, 160/165 IS adapter, and newer caliper ( > 2002)? If so, yeah I tried that - it doesn't work without shimming. The calipers originally made to go with the 165mm rotors had additional offset built into them. The calipers from 2002 on had less offset but also used the smaller 160mm rotor so they could stay with original IS adapter. So, the IS adapter is the only thing that hasn't changed which is why they label it for either 160/165mm.

To use the 165mm rotor with what you have, you'll have to shim it out about 2.5mm (the difference in radius).

mtbr member
    Yes, that is the setup I have. I guess I was stumped as why they would market an adapter to be used with both size rotors. Thanks for the 411.