Karma Vampire

Avid BB-7 and Shimano 6-bolt Ice Tech Rotor - compatible?

I got a "couple" of questions regarding rotor and caliper compatibility. I hope the brake forum can help with this seemingly odd combination.

1) I am wondering if anyone has used a BB-7 MTB caliper with a Shimano XT SM-RT86 IceTech 160mm 6-Bolt Rotor?
    2) How about the 180mm version?
    3) Any extraordinary shimming or grinding required?
    4) Was it 74mm or IS 51?
    5) What adapter did you use, if any?
    6) Does it flat out just not work?

Feel free to answer any and or all of the questions if you know first hand about this setup.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yes and the avid disks work with the xt brakes too no mods needed

wyrd bi ful rd
    hope and avid rotors works with XTs too ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    A word of caution. The Icetech rotors are designed specifically to work with Shimano calipers that use the Icetech pads. It's not a size issue, but a "system" issue. The Icetech rotors are designed to work at a much lower operating temperature than a standard solid steel rotor. And the Icetech "system" (caliper, pads, and rotor) do operate at significantly lower temps. Using the rotors in a non-Icetech system may heat them up too much, which can lead to anything from heavy warping to separation of the aluminum core of the rotor from the outer steel surfaces. Put simply, Icetech is a system, all the components of the system are designed to work together to achieve specific results. Of course Shimano dose not recommend the use of Icetech rotors with non-Icetech systems. But in this case it is for a good reason.

Not saying that they won't work with the BB7s, they will. However, there is the possibility of problems when used with non-Icetech calipers. So, you may never have an issue, but do keep in mind that there is that possibility.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have used the BB-7's with a few of the aluminum carrier type rotors
    they work but often I had to cut the little tabs off the pads as the carrier is high and thicker than the rotor face and the pad's tabs hit it. you can see what I mean here..
    Magura venti disc--with avid BB7's

after cutting the pad's tab they worked fine, but, I found that with the BB7's where the whole design of the brake system is for the rotor to flex over, the Alum carrier style rotors are WAY stiff and wear the out board(the moving) pads super fast and wear them way uneven. I was going through the out board pad every 3 months or less while the inboard pad was barely worn.
    i did seem to get a good gain in modulation as it takes more force to flex the rotor over, so the inbetween area drags more on the out board pad and gives you nice 1/2 way spots.. but it takes a good bit more grip in your hand to get them to lock up.
    will it work... sure, but I don't recommend it in the long term.

Karma Vampire
    Thanks guys. You saved me some future headaches and body aches.

I spent last night trying to get it to work. I found out I had to trim the tabs so it would safely clear the black carrier. I also had trouble getting it to run without rub/scrape. I chalked it up to unfaced posts, CPS washers and BB7 setup. It was late and snow was coming. So I went back to the Avid G2 rotor and a very old Juicy Seven front brake set. Easy to line up.

I needed to make sure my new fork & wheel was going to work. I had too many variables up in the air.

The posts above has me reconsidering a slow change over to Shimano brakes and rotors for the "fleet". Shame, cause they sound great. It just makes it a difficult when managing a fleet of bikes and "system integrated" components. You have to choose wisely.

Thanks again.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Again View Post
    Thanks guys. You saved me some future headaches and body aches.

I spent last night trying to get it to work. I found out I had to trim the tabs so it would safely clear the black carrier. I also had trouble getting it to run without rub/scrape. I chalked it up to unfaced posts, CPS washers and BB7 setup. It was late and snow was coming. So I went back to the Avid G2 rotor and a very old Juicy Seven front brake set. Easy to line up.

I needed to make sure my new fork & wheel was going to work. I had too many variables up in the air.

The posts above has me reconsidering a slow change over to Shimano brakes and rotors for the "fleet". Shame, cause they sound great. It just makes it a difficult when managing a fleet of bikes and "system integrated" components. You have to choose wisely.

Thanks again.
    just get Alligator wavy or the windcutter rotors.. lighter, cheaper, work fine.. actually i've had less warping and other issues(like bleeding an such) with the BB7's and the Alligator rotors and any other brake system..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i was about thinking to do this combo...but BB7 and wind cutter rotor works well with my style of riding...no warp no fade pure stopping power.

g3h6o3
    When I used the Shimano RT76 rotor on my BB7s, I had to grind the pad's tab because it hit the carrier. I suspect the same goes for the RT86.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    old thread but actual problem:

I want to ride my Avid disc brakes with the shimano ice-tech discs.
    Is that possible or are they to fat (width) for the calipers incl pads ?

thanks for sharing your experience

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmen View Post
    old thread but actual problem:

I want to ride my Avid disc brakes with the shimano ice-tech discs.
    Is that possible or are they to fat (width) for the calipers incl pads ?

thanks for sharing your experience
    Width shouldn't be an issue, but aren't the ice techs on an alum carrier? If it is then they will work great , for a short time as the bb7 are designed with rotor flex as part of its system. Issue is rotors with album carriers don't flex well and the bb7 pads will wear out super fast and at a funny angle do to the sharp angle of flex restriction with the rotor
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/