better than I deserve

Avid BB 7 replacement pads & rotor ?

I have my first set of disc brakes the Avid BB7`s.They came with the G2 cleensweeps and what ever pads came stock.My question is what seems to be the popular replacement pads for these?
    I want to have a pad set ready for when I will need them.I see there are so many choices for pads(full pages of types and brands) I am lost on what is best to buy.

I notice the rear rotor does not run perfectly true ( only slightly out of true) I have to back off a bit to eliminate rubbing contact.Is this normal and just require a slight bending to fix or does it need to be replaced ? It is still very usable they way it is but I would like to have a closer adjustment between rotor and pads.Are there better rotors to replace with if it comes to that?

mtbr member
    EBC Green or Gold
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    I have my first set of disc brakes the Avid BB7`s.They came with the G2 cleensweeps and what ever pads came stock.My question is what seems to be the popular replacement pads for these?
    I want to have a pad set ready for when I will need them.I see there are so many choices for pads(full pages of types and brands) I am lost on what is best to buy.

I notice the rear rotor does not run perfectly true ( only slightly out of true) I have to back off a bit to eliminate rubbing contact.Is this normal and just require a slight bending to fix or does it need to be replaced ? It is still very usable they way it is but I would like to have a closer adjustment between rotor and pads.Are there better rotors to replace with if it comes to that?
    EBC Gold pads.

All rotors can have wobble. Just true them by hand. Use a clean cloth to protect the rotor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

better than I deserve
    Thanks guys, I`ll go with EBC. And appreciate the response about the rotors,shiggy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    EBC pads are cheaper than Avid pads. Also, I have never measured EBC pad thickness, but the organic material on my green BB7 pads looks a little thicker than Avid organic pads. They seem to last a little longer than Avid organic pads, but I think they may have a little harder compound.

It seems like every other Avid rotor is out of true from the package. They are easy to touch up if you have a stand. Have your LBS do it if you don't know how. They will be much quieter if they are straight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Park makes a nice rotor truing tool that works great- the DT-2 Rotor Truing Fork- I guess I can't post a link to it. Also an adjustable crescent wrench will get the job done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    do you actually just slightly bend the rotors to true them up>?

L.R.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lonrgr- yes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rotors go out of true all the time, a couple of mins pushing and pulling in the right direction is all it takes. You don't really need the tool, clean hands or a grease-less glove is all it takes.

Did I catch a niner?
    The rubbing is normal but the cable could be getting stuck also on the return. If this happens while riding I usually give mine a good hard squeeze and this fixes the problem.

EBC Gold is a solid choice for pads

If you're looking for new rotors I recommend these they look the same as a G2 but are slightly lighter and MUCH cheaper. I use a set of 160s on my Fisty.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1