mtbr member

Avid Arch Rivals

I have been offered a brand new set(front and rear) very cheap and what i want to know is are they a good brake, i might add that i cannot afford to upgrade to discs,so is this a good option to go with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

ballbuster

I have not used them myself...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimtbr
    I have been offered a brand new set(front and rear) very cheap and what i want to know is are they a good brake, i might add that i cannot afford to upgrade to discs,so is this a good option to go with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    ...but I hear it's the best rim brake going these days. Jensonusa.com sells them for like $35 a set, IIRC. If you're doing better than that, get 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Re: Avid Arch Rivals

Bought a set of these from Supergo a couple of years ago, very impressed.

A whole lot lighter than discs but damn near the stopping power. Only downside to them is that I have worn a rim wall down sufficiently that it collapsed after a big hit.

Teamed up with a set of SD7 levers, they are very adjustable with plenty of modulation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The best V-brakes i've used

They flat-out rock. If you need better brakes, you won't be buying them, your sponsors will give 'em to ya. With speed dial levers, modulation is on a par with the HS-33s I run now, and with every disc brake I've used. With respect to power, they'll lock both wheels on any surface I rode them on, so for me at least, they have more power than I can use. As do cantis, for that matter.

The only weakness I could see is that the arch can pack up with mud. Not an issue here in San Diego, where the trails are pretty well unrideable in the wet. The clay turns to glue, and after 50 feet, you can't even push your bike. If you ride in muddy conditions, the archies might not be your brake of choice, as they reduce clearance above the tire.

--Shannon

mtbr member
    I was running Arch Rivals for about 6 years until I bought disc brakes last week. They work great. The only issue I have had is that they limit the size of tire you can run. With the arch, you can't spread the brakes apart far enough to get a larger volume tire past the pads. The biggest tire I could really use was a 2.1. I was using them with the SD7 levers and it was a great combo...

Dean

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanoldo
    I was running Arch Rivals for about 6 years until I bought disc brakes last week. They work great. The only issue I have had is that they limit the size of tire you can run. With the arch, you can't spread the brakes apart far enough to get a larger volume tire past the pads. The biggest tire I could really use was a 2.1. I was using them with the SD7 levers and it was a great combo...

Dean
    Used arch rivals for a few years and yes they did rock. Upgraded to disc recently, no comparison in stopping power. I live and ride in the rockies where long decents are a commonplace. Really need discs. However, most other places the AR's are fine. The only annoyance is that they tend to trap leaves, AAARRGGHHH! I ran a 2.3 with no problem, just need to deflate the tire when installing wheelset.