mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Avid 2012 XX World Cup Calipers?

I'm confused as to which are the new 2012 Avid World Cup calipers. Both images below are shown as the new 2012 WC model with the new HSX rotors but the calipers are different. One is magnesium and the other is aluminum.

The info and reviews around the web for the 2012 XX WC brakes all state that they are forged 2-piece magnesium, weigh 270g and look like this (banjo on front)...

BUT the SRAM/AVID website says they are Forged 2-piece Aluminum weigh 277g and look like this (notice shape of caliper, logo placement, banjo on back side of caliper)...

Also, the AVID 2012 tech notes say that the 2012 XX WC are Forged Aluminum while the 2011 model XX WC is magnesium...

I would really like to know which is the 2012 model as the caliper material will also dictate which pad material you can use. ie organic only for magnesium vs organic or metallic for Aluminum.

Is it safe to assume that the aluminum version from the AVID web and tech notes is the newest version even though it gained 7g of weight?
    Last edited by MrKris; 02-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.

74 & 29 pilot
    Second pic is the 2012 version.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. From the tech notes it also looks like the 2012 XX WC can now use the metal scintered pads because of the aluminum body (better heat dissipation) while the 2010-2011 XX WC model can only be used with organic pads.