mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?

I have some Avid Juicy 7s with 185mm in front 6-bolt. They're getting long in the tooth and planning on replacing them with the latest Shimano SLX or XT brakes. Do I need a special adapter? Or is there one that my Juicy 7s are using that will work on the Shimanos?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Juicy's adapter should be fine, I use an avid 203mm bracket for my front SLX brakes. If you are not sure, take the bracket to your LBS and see if the SLX/XT caliper will fit on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?

It'll work.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    It won't work if you remove the avid cps bolt washers from underneath the caliper. I tried to put a 180 shimano caliper on a 185 post with that bb5 rotor and the rotor would nick the caliper body at each of the pointed bits. I put the avid washers underneath the caliper and it has clearance and the pad sweep covers the whole rotor face. It all works fine now, and I didn't have to ditch the bb5 rotors to ditch the bb5s.
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

Ski during the off-season
    I upgraded my Avid Elixir 5 SL with a set of XTR M988 brakes recently. Similiar to the above post, I re-used the avid washers / brackets and everything is working great. My SJ came equipped with 200mm rotors upfront and 180mm in the rear.

The only thing that has thrown me is that the XTR's are stronger; enough so, that it has surprised me a few times when I applied the brakes too hard -- well, I pulled the lever as quickly as I did with the Avids and was surprised by how quickly I slowed... whoa!! ;-)

I have considered moving the 180 from the rear to the frt, and putting a 160mm rotor in the rear -- I would save some rotational weight and figure the braking may even out... ;-)

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    It won't work if you remove the avid cps bolt washers from underneath the caliper. I tried to put a 180 shimano caliper on a 185 post with that bb5 rotor and the rotor would nick the caliper body at each of the pointed bits. I put the avid washers underneath the caliper and it has clearance and the pad sweep covers the whole rotor face. It all works fine now, and I didn't have to ditch the bb5 rotors to ditch the bb5s.
    Quote Originally Posted by journey View Post
    I upgraded my Avid Elixir 5 SL with a set of XTR M988 brakes recently. Similiar to the above post, I re-used the avid washers / brackets and everything is working great. My SJ came equipped with 200mm rotors upfront and 180mm in the rear.
    What's the 180 shimano caliper that was put on a 185 post ?

Check to see if the pads are overhanging the rotor, Shimano calipers aren't supposed to have CPS washers under them.

If the adapter is on the wrong way around the caliper will rub on the disc.

There shouldn't be any problems if sizes match.
    180mm adapter with a 180mm rotor
    185mm adapter with a 185mm rotor

mtbr member

Re: Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    What's the 180 shimano caliper that was put on a 185 post ?

Check to see if the pads are overhanging the rotor, Shimano calipers aren't supposed to have CPS washers under them.

If the adapter is on the wrong way around the caliper will rub on the disc.

There shouldn't be any problems if sizes match.
    180mm adapter with a 180mm rotor
    185mm adapter with a 185mm rotor

It is shimano m486, and the 180 mount on one of my bikes is the same size as the avid 185 mount in terms of height. I tried 3 different rotors and all of them contacted the caliper just slightly. The rotor will roll through but it does clip the caliper slightly if the caliper is mounted without any of the washers. I need to re measure the washers but the current alignment is working properly. I'll take some measurements when I get home and see if something is off then.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    the 180 mount on one of my bikes is the same size as the avid 185 mount in terms of height.
    2.5mm difference in the radius of a 180mm rotor and a 185mm rotor
    A CPS washer stack is 4 or 5mm thick.

Shimano 180mm adapter on the left and Avid 185mm adapter on the right.

Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?-capture.jpg

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have been running various flat washers inbetween random adaptors ard calipers for 14 years, it won't hurt anything. I wouldn't reccomend cps washers anyway...that's just silly.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have been running various flat washers inbetween random adaptors ard calipers for 14 years, it won't hurt anything.
    Yep, sometimes putting 1 or 2 flat washers under the caliper will align it better with the rotor, but you don't want to pack it out too much so the pads overhang the rotor, overhanging pads is a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Yeah I just used a flat stack of washers that were about the same thickness as the CPs ones. The caliper wouldn't align properly at all with the amount of movement that the cps washers offered.
    I want to measure how much it actually needed as well now, just to see how much it took. None of the avid 185 rotors I had would clear, the bb5, g3 or g2 though fwiw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    would anyone mind posting a picture of their mounted SLX/XT brakes? Im currently trying to do the same, using a 185 Avid Rotor with a new front SLX brake replacing my Juciy 3 (I cant take the damn squealing or constant need for bleeding anymore).

I think I understand what needs to be done with the CPS or really any washer, but I just want to double check, as I had already partially disassembled the thing before I found this thread. Thanks!
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

Avid 185mm adapter on the right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	825330
    Interesting - my SJ came with Avid Elixer 5 brakes and 180mm rotors but has the bracket on the right. Looking back at the picture I took before replacing the brakes, the caliper appears to fit in the rotor just right, even with the CPS washers installed.

I have Shimano M988 brakes and the CPS washers on the SJ now--after reading some of the responses in this thread, I have looked more closely and it appears that caliper needs to be lowered to more fully engage the disc. I will post pictures below.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    would anyone mind posting a picture of their mounted SLX/XT brakes? Im currently trying to do the same, using a 185 Avid Rotor with a new front SLX brake...
    Done. Although, they may be an example of what not to do...

What's the 180 shimano caliper that was put on a 185 post? Check to see if the pads are overhanging the rotor, Shimano calipers aren't supposed to have CPS washers under them.
    What do you mean by pads overhanging? Pads extending too far inwards on the disc, or pads not fully engaging the disc?

Here are pix of my frt and rear brakes--now that I look at them with the CPS washers, it appears that the pads are not fully engaging the rotors. I should remove the lower washers, and if the caliper lowers too far onto the disc, I may add a single washer back.

It will be interesting to see how well they work after I lower the caliper to more fully engage the disc--already, they are stronger than what I had with my Avid Elixr 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?-20130821_000308.jpg  

Avid 185mm Rotor on Shimano Brakes?-20130821_000402.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Interesting - my SJ came with Avid Elixer 5 brakes and 180mm rotors but has the bracket on the right. Looking back at the picture I took before replacing the brakes, the caliper appears to fit in the rotor just right, even with the CPS washers installed.

I have Shimano M988 brakes and the CPS washers on the SJ now--after reading some of the responses in this thread, I have looked more closely and it appears that caliper needs to be lowered to more fully engage the disc. I will post pictures below.
    Avid's old adapters and rotors were 185mm, their new adapters and rotors are 180mm, Avid's 185mm and 180mm adapters look the same but if you measure the thickness of them you'll see that they are different.

Done. Although, they may be an example of what not to do...

What do you mean by pads overhanging? Pads extending too far inwards on the disc, or pads not fully engaging the disc?

Here are pix of my frt and rear brakes--now that I look at them with the CPS washers, it appears that the pads are not fully engaging the rotors. I should remove the lower washers, and if the caliper lowers too far onto the disc, I may add a single washer back.

It will be interesting to see how well they work after I lower the caliper to more fully engage the disc--already, they are stronger than what I had with my Avid Elixr 5.
    Overhanging = part of the braking material on the pads extending past the outer edge of the rotor and not contacting it.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  24.0 KB

How well do you think a brake will work when the overhanging unworn parts of the pad start to push against each other ?

Get rid of the CPS washers that are between the caliper and the adapter, they aren't supposed to be used with Shimano brakes.

In the first photo you can see the shiny wear on the rotor from the pads, it looks like they're are only contacting about 1/2 of the rotor's braking track.
    Last edited by cobba; 08-23-2013 at 04:48 AM.