mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Avid 185mm compatible with Marz Z2 Atom?

I'm looking to upgrade the front brake on my 2001 Rocky Mountain Blizzard with the '01 Z2 Atom Sport fork and I need to know if it is wise to get the Avid Mech with the 185mm rotor or must I run the smaller 160mm rotor? I'm not sure what size disc brake these forks were tested on.

Also, I will be running an Avid SD7 rim brake on the rear for a while longer and would like to know if the 185mm disc/SD7 is a good combo for a 175lb rider in gear? Will the front be way too strong and therefore should I get the 160mm disc up front? I ride in the northeast where I see a mixed bag of rocky, sandy, muddy conditions and living in WNY, the trails take a long time to dry out. The SD7's are generally ok when the trails are dry, but once things get wet they do not do me any favors. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bttt

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

It was fine for me...

It was fine for me... (But don't ask me about "what-if" fork warranty issues, etc, please.)

When I had a '99 FSRxc with '00 Marz Z2 Atom 80mm fork, I had Avid mech 185mm on front + Avid low-end V-brake on rear, and it was totally fine. Rather, it did quite well, and I enjoyed it very much. (old pic attached)

Initially, I actually had 160mm rotor on front, but I shortly went up to 185mm, due to over-heating issue. 185mm has no such over-heating prob - without any over-grabbing prob that I can feel of, either. (By the way, I'm 150lbs.)

Just FYI, since then, I put 160mm Avid mech on rear of '99 FSRxc, which was another "disc" leap for bicycling - totally worth it. Since then, my '99 FSRxc frame was warranty-replaced with '03 FSR (& treated myself with a Fox TALAS fork), and I still happily have Avid mech 185mm(F)/160mm(R) combo.

Anyway, it's not bad to take it step by step. You'll be very happy even if you just put a disc on front. Good luck & have fun!

- PiroChu

(PS. This is my 1st post since the MTBR forum was nicely updated. It's been a while, but I finally signed up yesterday. So, I'm finally back on MTBR again.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 04-09-2004 at 02:17 PM. Reason: (additional comments)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't had much luck with this post. I weight about 20 pounds more than you so if you didn't have any problems with the 185mm rotor then I should be fine. I'll probably go ahead and order the front brake in the next week or two and that will give me enough time to either buy or build a new front wheel. It sounds like you didn't mind running disc front/v back so I'm looking forward to the upgrade. I like my ride, I just want to be more confident I can slow down when I want to even if it is wet outside. I also hate the maintenance of v-brakes...cleaning the pads and rims after each muddy ride is annoying and watching your rims wear out is not fun either. Thanks again for your help and the great pic.