mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid 165 vs. 160?

I have a set of Avid 165mm disc brakes and a set of 160's. I don't need both sets so one has got to go. I know they are very similar but would you choose one over the other? Thanx

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have a set of Avid 165mm disc brakes and a set of 160's. I don't need both sets so one has got to go. I know they are very similar but would you choose one over the other? Thanx
    I'd keep the 160s. The difference in stopping power is probably pretty small. I'd keep the 160s for the simple reason that they are more common. Easier to find replacement rotors, Shimano Centerlock is 160mm, etc.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have both too. I use the 165s on my primary bike since they have [nominally] larger rotors.

If you like the magnets and don't want to run the clips, stick with the old version. Otherwise, I think the new version is nicer-looking.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I'd keep the 160s. The difference in stopping power is probably pretty small. I'd keep the 160s for the simple reason that they are more common. Easier to find replacement rotors, Shimano Centerlock is 160mm, etc.
    Actually, Avid modified the brake calipers several years ago. Old calipers work with 165 rotors. New calipers work with 160s. The 160 rotors will work okay with the old calipers, but new calipers designed for the 160 rotor might not work with 165 rotors. There might be a bit of rub at the outer edged of the rotor on the caliper body.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Actually, Avid modified the brake calipers several years ago. Old calipers work with 165 rotors. New calipers work with 160s. The 160 rotors will work okay with the old calipers, but new calipers designed for the 160 rotor might not work with 165 rotors. There might be a bit of rub at the outer edged of the rotor on the caliper body.
    New Avid calipers do not work with 165mm rotors without modification. That, and other brake mfgs are 160. A 160mm rotor will be more universal for applications with other calipers, should you change brakes or bikes. A backup rotor is a good thing to have.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    New Avid calipers do not work with 165mm rotors without modification.
    Modification = a 2mm washer between the adapter and CPS washers.