Mythical Creature

Avid 140mm Rear Question

Wondering if the Ultimate 140mm for the rear is a special caliper - or just a tweaked IS to post mount adaptor and smaller rotor.

$20 (er - $250!!!) question is can I use a 160mm rotor and 160mm specific IS to post adaptor on the rear and be OK, or is the caliper different - ala Magura's new 185mm Front set-up.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Wondering if the Ultimate 140mm for the rear is a special caliper - or just a tweaked IS to post mount adaptor and smaller rotor.

$20 (er - $250!!!) question is can I use a 160mm rotor and 160mm specific IS to post adaptor on the rear and be OK, or is the caliper different - ala Magura's new 185mm Front set-up.
    I suspect the caliper is the same and they are using a 160mm front mount for the rear 140mm rotor. Rear IS tabs are 10mm closer to the axle that the fronts.

Several other companies use to use the same calipers with built in mounts front and rear by specing a 20mm smaller rear rotor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Mythical Creature
    Thanks Shig - sorta what I thought - and cool about the 10mm F/R difference - never knew that!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Thanks Shig - sorta what I thought - and cool about the 10mm F/R difference - never knew that!
    I have always thought it strange it is not the same front and rear.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common