I need more time
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Argh help! Why does it rub.

just the other day i bought my self a new gt agressor with trekto disk brake on the front (mechanical) and one on the rear. (same again) My problem is that the back wheel is fine and when i lift the bike up and give the wheel a spin it rolls and rolls. but as for the fornt it makes about one turn and stops due to the brake rubbing. i have chcked all i can or as much as my newbe mind will allow me, the brake is as open as it will go and i cant find anything to adjust. i even checked the wheel position and i'm alomost certain its not over to one side or anyhting. i was wondering perhaps is it just coz its brand new that its rubbing and it will wear down in a week or so.

thanks in advance

Chris, northern ireland

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    check if you loosen the mounting bolts one at a time if th erubbing goes away. if yes u need to put a small spacer inbetween.

dont forget to tighten the bolts again

if it gets worse than maybe u need to scrap the thick paint of the frame

brakemeister

mtbr member
    Try removing the cable at the lever end and seeing if you still have a problem. If you do it's because the calipers need adjusting. This could be alignment (centring the calipers over the rotor), or you need to move the away from each other using whatever adjustement these brakes have. Youmay be able toadjust both pads, but |I don't know. If you don't have a problem it's because the cable needs adjusting.

If it's the cable you need to either wind in the barrel adjuster on the lever or loosen the bolt that attaches the cable to the caplier and move it further down the cable.

I hope this helps.

Wombat

I need more time
    Jun 2004

Cheers

thanks for your advice but i got it sorted. I found that the wheel was about half a mm over to one side on the axle when i took it off, (front wheel easy peasy) so i just moved it the smallest of bits and it sorted. Coz it was just rubbing on one pad and there was quiete a bit of room between the disk and the other pad. Thanks anyway.

Cheers