mtbr member

Apprehensive about Hope Tech Evo X2

I have gotten fed up with the Avid Elixir issues and decided to get new brakes. It was between the 2012 Shimano XTs and the 2012 Hope Tech Evo X2s. I wanted to give Hope a try since I wanted the better adjustability and I just think they look a lot better.

I am in the 260s and ride a 4" FS 29er. My riding style is just about strictly cross country. I enjoy some rooty/rocky terrain, short uphills/downhills, and generally just a nice ride with a little bit of techincal stuff in there to keep me on my toes. I dont jump, I am not a downhiller, and I avoid berms and other man-made obstacles 90% of the time. I looked on Hope's website and it said that the X2s were for XC and light freeride. Great, those are for me.

Now I am reading some threads that say the X2s are a bit underpowered for some. When you are dropping that kind of money, you can go in a lot of directions so you want to be happy in the end. The 2012s say they have 15% more power, so maybe people are talking about their experience with the older models? I am lost on this one.

Does anyone have any input/experience on this before I put the brakes on the bike and get rolling? The last thing I want is to lay down this kind of money and be unhappy.
    Last edited by psunuc; 07-31-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    I should add that I ordered 183/183 floating rotors for the set.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    From a test of braking power (How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar) the X2s have similar power to Avid Elixirs, so if you were happy with the power from the Elixirs then you should be fine with Hope X2s.

Myself I just finished installing Hope M4s 183 front and 160 back to replace some Elixir CRs on my Rip 9. There wasn't anything really wrong with the Elixirs, other than they were maybe just a little underpowered. I decided to try something different and since I've been very pleased with other Hope products such as their hubs so I figured I'd give these a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    From a test of braking power (How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar) the X2s have similar power to Avid Elixirs, so if you were happy with the power from the Elixirs then you should be fine with Hope X2s.

Myself I just finished installing Hope M4s 183 front and 160 back to replace some Elixir CRs on my Rip 9. There wasn't anything really wrong with the Elixirs, other than they were maybe just a little underpowered. I decided to try something different and since I've been very pleased with other Hope products such as their hubs so I figured I'd give these a shot.
    Too bad they didnt test the BB7, I would be really interested in how that compares to modern hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post

What a link! That is exactly what I was talking about and looking for.

It looks like they are right around the same 100Nm mark as the vast majority of other brakes. Considering they come with organic pads stock, I can always put metallic on just in case I need a little bit more bite.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Pull the trigger. The EVO X2's are very sweet. I just picked up a set with 160 floating rotors. The hoses were easy to shorten. Just use a razor blade to open the brass olive. All the parts are reusable. My front weighs 359g with aluminum levers bolts and Ti caliper bolts. That is XTR territory for a lot less money. I was leary of the short XTR levers with my gripshift. The X2's are the perfect length for my application.

The lever feel is also much better than XT or XTR in my opinion. Shimano brakes have always seemed to lack modulation to me. I hopped on my buddy's bike today with the last generation XTR and I chuckled inside because my Hope levers feel so much better to me. It isn't just hype on these threads.

The X2's did take several rides to brake in. I had read many of the X2 threads before buying and I thought I may have made a mistake. They got a lot more powerful once they were bedded in and I am really happy.

I'm only 155lbs. So, this post may not be that helpful to you. But, I ride agressively and I feel I have plenty of power. You should be fine with the bigger rotors

mtbr member
    I called Hope today and they said that I should go with the M4 up front. They said that the X2 may be fine, but the M4 will definitely suit my needs.

I asked about if I should go with an M4 in the rear and they said that it would just be overkill unless I will just be doing DH.

M4 up front and X2 in the rear it will be. Both 183 rotors.

banned
    Mar 2004
    At your weight you should the 203 rotor in the front. I've had 3 pairs of Hopes in seven years and can attest to the bigger rotor in the front.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc View Post
    M4 up front and X2 in the rear it will be. Both 183 rotors.
    This is exactly what I run, and I've hit DH runs with this setup. Sure they got pretty damn hot and faded a little towards the bottom, but nothing scary. HOWEVER, I only weigh about 185 w/gear.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69 View Post
    At your weight you should the 203 rotor in the front. I've had 3 pairs of Hopes in seven years and can attest to the bigger rotor in the front.
    +1. I think at 260lbs, you're going to be seriously pushing the limits of the X2 period. Honestly, I'd give a look at the V2's. Simple, 2-POT setup but with MAD power and modulation.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1 M4/X2 combo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    +1. I think at 260lbs, you're going to be seriously pushing the limits of the X2 period. Honestly, I'd give a look at the V2's. Simple, 2-POT setup but with MAD power and modulation.
    I ended up going with Tech Evo V2/M4; one 183mm V2 floating rotor and one 183mm regular floating rotor for the M4.

In the end, I wanted strong brakes and with this setup I dont think I will ever be lacking brake power in any situation. I am not worried about weight and I saw this setup and a "set it and forget it." Now to get them on my bike and get through the break in period.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc View Post
    I ended up going with Tech Evo V2/M4; one 183mm V2 floating rotor and one 183mm regular floating rotor for the M4.

In the end, I wanted strong brakes and with this setup I dont think I will ever be lacking brake power in any situation. I am not worried about weight and I saw this setup and a "set it and forget it." Now to get them on my bike and get through the break in period.
    You'll be very happy with that setup I think. Give the stock pads a shot and see how they work in your area. For me, here in SoCal where its hot, dry and dusty I switched to Brake Authority's Semi-metallic "aggressive" compound and am very, very impressed and happy with the upgrade.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!