Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Anyone using Magura MT2 or MT4 yet?

I've seen a few posts talking about seeing these, but have only seen a single mini-review of someone who actually owned and rode MT4s.

Has anyone else taken the plunge and picked up a set of MT2 or MT4 brakes yet?

If so, let us know what you think!
    Last edited by Pelly_NH; 09-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was just at my LBS yesterday and was pricing out a new SS build. Originally we thought of going with Avid 7, but for $10 more he said I could go Magura MT2 and be WAY ahead of the game. Problem is, local guy used to be a Magura rep so I'm a little hesitant bc nobody has a decent review. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    From what I've read online, they should be pretty stellar brakes. Certainly sound like a safer bet than the Avids.

jbf
    mtbr member

Bump

I'm bumping this thread as I am very interested in the MT2 and MT4. It's been a few months since the last post. So is anyone out there using the new low end Maguras yet?

metrotuned WoS
    The MT2 is a great buy, but the hydraulic cable appears to differ in that it's not adjustable angle. That is the one thing that puts me off for my own application, otherwise it would be the one to get. The Magura Louise BAT's have been an excellent brakeset in my own experience. Quality and lack of maintenance also proven. I've replaced with two pads, each time taking less than a couple minutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I will install a MT4 set on wife's bike this weekend.
    Will post saturday

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the MT4s on my new bike. Only one ride under my belt with it, but they worked as expected and stopped me every time without drama. They were easy to trim the lines and set up was cake too, didn't even have to bleed them. They feel a bit different (squishy), but they worked great on their first use.

They are on a 29er HT with 160mm rotors, all XC riding...no drops or any real jumps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Haven't had time to do the front one, rear was more critical to replace.
    So a 50% review.

They have lots of power, modulation is not what I expected, but the set was bought from a friend so will do a bleed next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any updates? I bought the MT-8, but have not installed them yet, and was wondering if the MT-6/4 feel the same.
    2011 Felt Edict Pro/XTR/Ritchey

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yea....I'm in the process of pulling the trigger on a new Brake set. Looking for something strong, light, and cheap. I don't ask for much....right.

I'm looking closely at three models

Magura Louise BAT's
    Magura MT2
    Formula RX

I'm leaning toward the BAT's (you can buy them dirt cheap at PricePoint)...just because I can't find any reviews of the MT2's.

The Formula RX's look to be the safest (popular) ....but, the cost is pulling me away a bit.

I'm sure all would be a huge improvement over my Juincy 7's...that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Your list is the same as mine, I had the RX's on one of my previous bikes and I loved them.
    I will be replacing some Elixir 5's with Alligator windcutters, I'll keep the rotors and sell the Avids to a local club guy for $100.
    I was looking more at the MT4 instead of the MT2, its more closely matched to the features of the MT6 and MT8.
    But the price on the Louise Carbon Bat from pp.com is too hard to pass up, thats allot of brake for the money and at 280g it'll knock over 100g off my bike replacing the elixir 5's.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

jbf
    mtbr member
    I picked up a set of MT2's from Cambria with 10% off and free shipping. They arrived last week but I will not be installing them for awhile. They weighed in at 268 grams each with full length housing. The levers are very nice, I don't think there is much difference with the upper range.

The calipers on the other hand look kind of industrial. The casting/machining is not as crisp as the old Louise and Marta calipers. Frankly they are not very pretty, but Magura says that functionally they are the equal of the MT4/6/8. We will see ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Your list is the same as mine, I had the RX's on one of my previous bikes and I loved them.
    I will be replacing some Elixir 5's with Alligator windcutters, I'll keep the rotors and sell the Avids to a local club guy for $100.
    I was looking more at the MT4 instead of the MT2, its more closely matched to the features of the MT6 and MT8.
    But the price on the Louise Carbon Bat from pp.com is too hard to pass up, thats allot of brake for the money and at 280g it'll knock over 100g off my bike replacing the elixir 5's.
    That's funny....I even have the windcutters on my Cannondale Flash Carbon.

I think I'm going to go with the BAT's. But...I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to spring for new rotors too. I'm reading alot about rotor thickness issues with the Magura's.

Do you think it will be a problem?

mtbr member
    Dont know, haven;t looked that far into it yet.

mtbr member
    Pking around on reviews for the MT4 I found mention that Magura was still using 2.0 thickness rotors, last thread I saw someone measuring a new windcutter it was 1.74 thick, the wear limit on the MAgura rotor is 1.7 so the windcutter may be too thin for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Any updates? I bought the MT-8, but have not installed them yet, and was wondering if the MT-6/4 feel the same.
    A friend ditched the 8's for the 6, less plasticky and more dependable were his words.
    If you ditch the ueberlight alu screws and carbon levers in essence the 6 are the same even more so the 6 have beefier calipers, less material has been shaved.

So 6 could be for a few grals and a lot less USD the best proposal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have been running the MT2's since December, and really like them. Paid under 200 for the pair, sans rotors, at universal cycles. Best brakes i've had, though admittedly my experience is limited to low end shimano and hayes stroker. Recent review in UK's What Magazine puts them on par with Shimano XTR, and claimed weight is about the same as XTR trail. Same review ranks them higher than the high end, lighter Maguar MT8's, in terms of raw power, modulations, and value. I don't know if I hold much on those reviews, but it does seem to me they are good brakes for the money, without a substantial difference from the high end stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    How is pad clearance? Any dragging?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No dragging at all with the MT2s on my new build -- great performance. Lever feel seemed a bit squishy out-of-the-box, but now after just a few miles to "seat in" feels just right.

A couple of minor weaknesses: MT2 hydraulic line exit angle from the caliper is fixed, leading to an ugly loop behind my Rock Shox Recon front fork; lever attachment screws are a light alloy, not steel, and very easy to round off. Now where am I going to find a replacement ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i have tried the mt 4 and the shimanos xt or xtr are so much better made, and you can find spare parts, Most importantly the shimano stop better. and they do not have cheap plastic bleed screws.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My louises have served me well over the years, have one on my trials bike and another one on my xc, the bat model, never a single problem. That beeing said, I don't find myself buying these as they look so "plasticky".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Between the Louise BAT and the MT4's, which one would you suggest people?

Thanks

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by assas1n View Post
    Between the Louise BAT and the MT4's, which one would you suggest people?

Thanks
    Let me say that I am a dedicated Magura rider. I have an old set of 2005 Louise Freeride which have been exceptional. I recently purchased the MT2's based on my previous experiance and the price was great. I am sure they perform well, but they looked and felt kind of cheap compaired to my old Louise set. I choose to send them back and found a killer deal on a mis-matched pair of Martas instead.

Maybe the MT4's would be a better choice than the MT2's, but you can't go wrong with the Louise BAT either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    Let me say that I am a dedicated Magura rider. I have an old set of 2005 Louise Freeride which have been exceptional. I recently purchased the MT2's based on my previous experiance and the price was great. I am sure they perform well, but they looked and felt kind of cheap compaired to my old Louise set. I choose to send them back and found a killer deal on a mis-matched pair of Martas instead.

Maybe the MT4's would be a better choice than the MT2's, but you can't go wrong with the Louise BAT either.
    So what has changed with this new generation of Magura brakes?
    More power? Less weight?

Oh and i assume this would be an update from my old Shimano LX M585 disk brakes right?
    Last edited by assas1n; 07-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    From our shop's perspective the new Magura MT series has been great across the entire range. It is worth upgrading to the MT-4 simply because the MT-2 lack an adjustable brake line connection, which depending on your frame may be an issue.

Overall we have installed 30+ sets of these brake since their release and no one has come back with any issues (or at least one that was the fault of the brakes). The MT-8s come with aluminum hardware which is very sensitive to over tightening and a few customer have broken them. Magura has been great about replacing these brakes without any questions.

When it comes to setting these brakes up, they are some of the easiest lines to cut and re-install. 99% of the time no additional bleeding is required as long as you follow the instructions. Not a single brake has had to be re-bleed due to air getting into the lines which is a welcome change to Avid brakes which almost 50% need to be re-bleed, often times more than once.

Overall their power is very good (Formula and Hope are still better), reliability is exceptional, and modulation is decent (Shimano is better). The tolerances between the pads/rotor is tight but once you set them up you don't have to worry about the pistons gradually migrating out which was an issue on the old LX brakes.

You do still have to purchase rotors separately with these brakes but you don't have stick with Magura's Storm rotor. There isn't anything wrong with their rotor other than it is a little pricy for some people's liking. The one rotor that will definitely not work with these brakes is the 2 piece hope rotors since the bolt connecting the two pieces will hit the caliper.

You can email me at mark@probikesupply.com with any additional questions. We also stock these brakes so I am sure we can work out a package deal for anyone who is interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast