mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Anyone used the Deore br-m555 hydros before?

I just found this sitting around in the basement of my cycle shop, the owner forgot he even had it so I took it off his hands for the extremely generous price of a pint on st. patty's day.

IMG_1573 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1572 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1574 [800x600].JPG

I tried googling specs on them but there's not very much information out there. Anyone know more about these brakes or have some first hand experience?

Cheers.
    Deep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here's what I could find....

I don't recall if they were dual or single piston brakes. They were never the greatest brakes on the market. A bit on the heavy side when compared to others and a bit low on the power scale, but quite serviceable. Rotor selection was limited to 160mm at the time they were originally manufactured as they were intended to be a "direct mount" brake, either IS or Post. The post model was designated as the M555-M.

Anyway, here's the link to what info I could find. http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel****p;jsessionid=NWGLJQgDCyjyrf3GH47JQ4q8G2c WdYR5Cv9jcfGm51Y2cWRgvTQ1!-2135262569?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051135&bmUID=1237377027024

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Meh.
    They are opposing two piston. The power is okay. The lever is essentially the same as any other Shimano lever of the time.

How is it serviceable? There were never any caliper or lever rebuild parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Look up serviceable....

"I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

29 some of the time...
    I have used them before. They work fine. Is that a front or a rear? They were designed as 160mm, but if you run a front caliper in the rear you can use a 180mm rotor. Standard housing kit will work. Bleeding shimano is basic. I never had any issue with fade or overheating even on longer dh runs. IMO the deore hydros are a good option for budget conscious. Far better than the low end avid or hayes hydros.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know what the BR designation is but I have M555 disk brakes on my Rocky. I never had any problems with them. I like the levers. Power was fine for 160mm brakes. I don't like 160mm any more though. I don't think they were serviced since I bought them in 2003. No problems. They still work good, I just don't ride that bike much any more.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Back in 2004 these brakes came stock on many of Specialized bikes. The deore label kind of made people think they were not the best. Many Specialized riders soon found out they performed quite well. I ended up getting a pair of these used and I liked them allot.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools