Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

anyone use the new bb7 yet?

i just ordered a pair in at the shop and i'm wondering if Sram managed to cheap them out as they have every other product they've inherited buy buying a decent company to ruin.

sometimes i swear letting a sram engineer near anything that is supposed to work is like a bull in a chinashop.

that little griping aside, i'm curious if anyone has been on them yet, as i'm not gonna have this bike built till after spring break probably.

thanks!

Meh.
    Do a search. This has been covered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ....wow...so you buy a product that you EXPECT to be crappy? That's some good consumerism there. If you are so concerned with how much SRAM has "ruined" Avid, why buy BEFORE you do your research?

I say down troll, before we have to poke you with a stick :P

Tim

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There are threads that explain some of the differences between the '08 and earlier BB-7's.

Did they cheapen the calipers? IMHO, they did. They went to a two-piece design probably to make manufacturing easier. I believe that the inner knob assembly was also cheapened in an effort to make it easier to to manufacture.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Do a search. This has been covered.
    search terms: new bb7, bb7, avid bb7
    search results: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

if you truly care to be so helpful as you think yourself to be, then take the 30 seconds to post a link to the appropriate threads. when someone asks for information, it's usually because they can't find it, not because they won't look. knowing where the information is and saying it exists without pointing in the right direction is pretty poor in terms of help.

just a suggestion, i'm not trying to be a dick. but even so much as "Do a search. This has been covered. use (insert appropriate terms here)" would be worlds better than your condescension whether intended or not.
    Last edited by bighitdon; 01-30-2008 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    this wouldn't be an issue if you use superior hydraulic brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullycanpara
    ....wow...so you buy a product that you EXPECT to be crappy? That's some good consumerism there. If you are so concerned with how much SRAM has "ruined" Avid, why buy BEFORE you do your research?

I say down troll, before we have to poke you with a stick :P

Tim
    i expect anything that says SRAM on it to be crappy. i only hope i am wrong. as a shop mechanic, i am expected to make it work. often. and i am also expected to have a suitably unbiased opinion, so i am often hoping it proves to be a fine product. the bb7's have been that, but they were an avid design, not a SRAM design. i'm expecting them to perform worse, but hoping they don't.

and given how cheap they are, i need a set of cable discs and it always helps to have personal experiences when dealing with customers. besides, with them being this cheap, i honestly can't complain if they suck. (though it won't stop me ). so would any other brake at that price.

and i much prefer when i'm doing the poking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    There are threads that explain some of the differences between the '08 and earlier BB-7's.

Did they cheapen the calipers? IMHO, they did. They went to a two-piece design probably to make manufacturing easier. I believe that the inner knob assembly was also cheapened in an effort to make it easier to to manufacture.
    ah, my thanks for actually responding to the topic of the thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    this wouldn't be an issue if you use superior hydraulic brakes
    i've got over a dozen bikes. they are all mt bikes. only 2 of them use rim brakes. along the wall hang 9 sets of hydraulic brakes. figure the cost of that to be well over $2000 and you can understand (hopefully) that not every person needs hydros on every bike. besides not all hydro are superior. ever try using coda disc brakes? hydros, but not worth the price of piss against even a horrible hayes mech.

when someone asks for advice about a product at least offer a useful post instead of insulting them - again, whether intended or not. please try and make a useful contribution.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    FWIW, they work just swell and are a good bit cheaper than previous versions. Worth the 12g increase in weight? I suppose.

I still haven't ridden a hydro that makes me think, "gosh, those darned Avid mechs are poopie."
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

Meh.
    What's the difference between 07 and 08 Avid BB7s

The MTBR search function is on the fritz again. My apologies, I had not known. I don't see how I am being a dick or condescending. I told you to perform a search. But there's no need for you to be such a jerk about it either.

The majority of questions asked CAN be solved by a search whether on MTBR or on google. It is indeed because they are too lazy to search.

mtbr member
    Actually, I prefer new threads to the old 'searched out' ones where someone brings back a 6 mo old thread.

Welcome to the Gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What's the difference between 07 and 08 Avid BB7s

The MTBR search function is on the fritz again. My apologies, I had not known. I don't see how I am being a dick or condescending. I told you to perform a search. But there's no need for you to be such a jerk about it either.

The majority of questions asked CAN be solved by a search whether on MTBR or on google. It is indeed because they are too lazy to search.
    by that logic how have you racked up 13,000 posts? i can't imagine all of them were answers. unless you just point people to the search function every time.

new threads are nice. they can be more personal, and can answer specific questions, as opposed to an older thread which will usually just give you a general idea about what's going on.

this is a forum... for discussion and questions. just because you've been here for longer than many of us, you've seen the same thing pop up here and there. i have to agree with the OP and say that if you're going to pop into a thread and take your oh so valuable time to write something, at least write something useful.

anyway... i just bought the new '08 BB7s for my Jabber. i have nothing to compare them to, so hopefully they're not junk. they seem well built from inspecting them. it's a simple enough mechanism for a brake... i'll try to get a ride report after i take it for a spin.

cheers. happy trails... may the force be with you... yada yada yoda.
    2008 JabberWocky
    Chubs... Carbon... Good...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    i've got over a dozen bikes. they are all mt bikes. only 2 of them use rim brakes. along the wall hang 9 sets of hydraulic brakes. figure the cost of that to be well over $2000 and you can understand (hopefully) that not every person needs hydros on every bike. besides not all hydro are superior. ever try using coda disc brakes? hydros, but not worth the price of piss against even a horrible hayes mech.

when someone asks for advice about a product at least offer a useful post instead of insulting them - again, whether intended or not. please try and make a useful contribution.
    easy there killer. i didn't think i was insulting anyone. i don't care if you use cable brakes.

lighten up, i made my comment in jest.

I love Pisgah
    This forum as well as most others, have covered most anything and everything by now. And if the search function was used every time theres a question...well, we'd have no newer threads/posts anymore.

I'll add some useful feedback while I'm here.

My race bikes use hydros. But, my 2nd string do-all race, trail, loaner, etc, FS bike(NRS), use some 08 BB7s and I think they work awesome. The black looks better too imo.

Two other bikes in the stable use the older BB7s and also work fine.

That is all.
    Last edited by Duckman; 01-31-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    by that logic how have you racked up 13,000 posts? i can't imagine all of them were answers. unless you just point people to the search function every time.

new threads are nice. they can be more personal, and can answer specific questions, as opposed to an older thread which will usually just give you a general idea about what's going on.

this is a forum... for discussion and questions. just because you've been here for longer than many of us, you've seen the same thing pop up here and there. i have to agree with the OP and say that if you're going to pop into a thread and take your oh so valuable time to write something, at least write something useful.

anyway... i just bought the new '08 BB7s for my Jabber. i have nothing to compare them to, so hopefully they're not junk. they seem well built from inspecting them. it's a simple enough mechanism for a brake... i'll try to get a ride report after i take it for a spin.

cheers. happy trails... may the force be with you... yada yada yoda.
    I don't see how you complaining about me is anything useful.

96 thread I started out of 13000 posts... Most of those posts meaningful and contributed to the discussion... Out of those 96 threads... many were not questions... I performed searches before asking questions... or I needed clarification on a subject that I had researched via the internet.

The last thread about BB7s was like a week ago... that's hardly old and used up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    wow, i hadn't expected so many replies to the spirit of the posts. i'm not busting anyone's balls so much as just saying let's try and be helpful. i'm not attacking anyone, and if i state that a post comes off a condescending or insulting, i personally know better than to take it that way, but not every user will. after all most of them are somewhat new to things or they wouldn't be asking for help. and if you're making a light hearted or joking post i'm sorry if i missed that, maybe use a smiley or something.

on to the meat of the thread. i got mine in today and i have to agree. i think they cheaped it out. that should be obvious given the price, but i'm thinking i can see where it comes from. the 2 piece is obviously a big part of that, and the stupid outer adjustment dial - plain and simple - blows. it never turned smoothly and the clicks though posative feeling were not as regular as one would hope. sometimes you needed to turn it further than you thought you should have to. i also noticed that that pad would not retract fully. the looks thugh are pretty decent. but honestly i was wondering what the engineer was thinking with a t25 on one side and no tool whatsoever for the other. i personally think that you could ditch the stupid knobs altogether and just make it accept either an m5 or t25 on both sides. let's face it, the outboard knob doesn't give you enough leverage and the inboard knob tends to spin.

i might have this bike together as soon as next weekend, but that's ray's and i might need to divert funds. then march is a trip to santos and hopefully not to the ER while i'm there. so it'll be a while before i get any ride time impressoins. not to mention it will be on bike #6 or 7 down the list, and might not get much ride time to begin with.

Meh.
    Well it was a common complaint that the inner pad was difficult to reach/turn. That's why they made it bigger and added a torx to it.

And though 2-piece, it's well thought out and designed. More material was added to places that needed it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This thread is worse than a bunch of teenage girls...
    dude, they feel the exact same as the old ones did.
    if you can tell a difference you should be in product development.
    ...and its not like ive only ridden old and new bb7's...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Been riding with '08 bb7's for about 5 months now, and haven't had any problems with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bb7 2008

No problems with new BB7 in comparison to older type. Inboard knob easier to rotate. Easier to see pad distribution through caliper. Can trick it out with titanium bolts now.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    I like the color

Mine inboards are a little hard to turn, but I just tell myself to HTFU and put some more effort into it.

I found that cables/housing made the most difference (and the cuts in the housing too).

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    but honestly i was wondering what the engineer was thinking with a t25 on one side and no tool whatsoever for the other. i personally think that you could ditch the stupid knobs altogether and just make it accept either an m5 or t25 on both sides. let's face it, the outboard knob doesn't give you enough leverage and the inboard knob tends to spin.
    The outboard knob is easy to reach so turning it is not a problem and a Torx or Allen fitting is not needed. The inboard knob, which is very stiff on my example, can take advantage of the Torx fitting as I can reach it with even a stubbie driver and a Torx fitting through the spokes. Now, not everyone has a Torx driver out on the trail and there may arise a situation out on the trail where one would need to adjust the pad spacing so the knobs would be used in this situation.

mtbr member
    I like them better than my juicy 7's

~I Ride In Circles ~
    My 2006 BB7's are rock solid.. Looking at pictures of the newest rendition make me sad.. They look too weak and under powered. Extra weight and strength is needed in some places.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast