mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Anyone Tried Shimano Rotors with Avid XX Brakes

I have new 2013 Avid XX Brakes. Bleed is excellent and brakes work great but I get the dreaded "turkey" warble sound and vibration from the HSX 180mm and 160mm rotor combo with Steel/Organic pads. If i take off the rotors and clean them with a scotch-brite pad then soak in alcohol and do the same with the pads, it goes away for 30-50 miles then comes back. There are lots of threads on this problem, but no one has seems to have tried to use the Shimano brake rotors. Anyone tried switching the rotors to the Ice-Tec RT86 rotors and using EBC Green pads? Figured this may solve all the problems. Please don't post about bleeding, I know how to bleed and how to tell when the bleed is the problem. These brakes are instantly tight and have zero fade, just seem to have a problem with rotor/pad contamination. Figured the small holes in the Avid rotors may not clean the pads well? Just a thought since Shimano seems to be so silent, that their rotors with larger holes do a better job of sweeping away the contaminates.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    FYI, they work for 180mm and larger only. The 160 and 140 rotors don't work. The aluminum carrier in the center strikes the caliper. So AVID elixir calipers only work with Shimano 180mm or larger.