Mountain biking fanatic!

New question here. Anyone tried the hub conversion to disc?

Hi all,

First Principles rotor mount. Has anyone out there heard of these or tried them? http://www.firstprinciples.ca/fprotors.html

I'm currently keeping my backup bike with V-brakes, just so I can use my collection of non disc front wheels. My LBS suggested a hub conversion but they have had no experience with them. The concept looks simple enough so I've ordered one.

Have any of you tried them? What kind of results? I have a cartridge AC hub that I'd like to convert, but not even sure that it will fit.

Info appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've had a front & a rear running for over a year, posted last year:
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...v.3@.efa2d36/3

So far so good. You'd have to email them and ask about your AC hub, unless the hub flange offset & diameter are the same as Shimano.

Not sure they are worth doing on anything less that an XT, as the convert will cost as much as an inexpensive disc hub.

Cheers,

Tom

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    I've had a front & a rear running for over a year, posted last year:
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...v.3@.efa2d36/3

So far so good. You'd have to email them and ask about your AC hub, unless the hub flange offset & diameter are the same as Shimano.

Not sure they are worth doing on anything less that an XT, as the convert will cost as much as an inexpensive disc hub.

Cheers,

Tom
    they cost like $50 each, right? Could you reuse the old spokes, or do you need new ones because the old ones are the wrong length? Did you have to basically rebuild the front wheel?It looks like the flange is alot larger.

thanks
    jh

edit: from the first principles website:
    New Spoke Length = Old Spoke Length less 4.0 mm

Looks like a pain. $50 plus new spokes plus rebuilding wheel... I'll just buy a new wheel. But I am talking about a front wheel here.
    Only boring people get bored.

Mountain biking fanatic!
    Thanks for the responses.

In my case, I had a AC (APX I believe) hub built up with a Mavic 519 just before I converted to disc. This was an off season, former showcase front hub that I picked up dirt cheap marked down from $270 Cdn.
    So here is this brand new, light, durable, and extremely smooth wheel sitting in my bin that I can only use on the bang-around backup bike. (my primary bike is a Tracer). Just doesn't seem right.
    The shop gave me a cheap quote for the conversion and build, which should still only amount to about 1/2 the cost of an XT/Singletrack build.

Yes, the spokes will all have to be changed as they will be laced for disc too.

I already have a Cross Roc disc tubeless and Bontrager lite disc front wheels, but neither are suitable for my everyday local riding conditions.
    This could can be the durable wheel to swap between bikes.

So admittedly this is as much as exercise in salvaging high end parts, but if they're dependable - what the heck.

Now if only I could find a use for my Syncros 130x15 stem, straight bars...
    itsdoable - thanks, I'll read your post.

Uncle_Mike