mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Anyone running the new Shimano Deore M596 (2012) brakes ?

Hi all,

is anyone running the new 2012 Shimano Deore brakes, the M596 model ? What's with the power and modulation ?

Thanks in advance for all the info =)

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    Hi all,

is anyone running the new 2012 Shimano Deore brakes, the M596 model ? What's with the power and modulation ?

Almost 2 months and no replies??? Come on guys, I'm interested to know as well!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi i have deore m 595 on my kona kula and have been really happy with them .iwas going to get a set for my enduro but then came across the new m596 so brought them instead they have same calipers but the levers are diferant the new ones have servo wave came and better shape leaver but dont have tool free reach. The m596 are slightly more powerfull but the best thing about them over m595 is the shap of the leaver just feels righ.the cabels are really long and had to be cut to size on both sets but were easy to bleed.the m596 are very good brakes powerfull reliable well modulated ihave used hope hayes and avid and the deores are the best i had.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    Hi all,

I got my M596s 2 weeks ago and got to break (brake?) them in last weekend on a fairly easy trail ride.
    I'd run M595s for almost 2 years, but came across an awesome deal on the M596s. A bike shop owner-friend was able to get a set at last year's closeout price (40% less than what I paid for the M595s 2 years ago ) so I went for it.
    The calipers are exactly the same as the M595's. The levers OTOH are what I was after. I can't say much about the supposed 25% increase in power due to ServoWave, but the lever shape is just so freakin' awsome! I love 'em!
    I ride a rigid SS, and do 1-finger braking. My index fingers fall perfectly on to the tips of these levers.
    It was also nice that they didn't really need any bedding in. They were sufficiently strong out of the box, with good modulation.
    FYI I'm running 160-mm Alligator Windcutter rotors. These are only my 3rd set of disc brakes. Prior to the M595s I had Avid BBDBs with SD-7 levers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone running the new Shimano Deore M596 (2012) brakes ?-image641_vga.jpg  

Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the report. I got only M596 on the rear. It's sufficient with a 160mm rotor for that purpose on my AM bike.

Having some trouble bleeding it though - oil comes out from under the reservoir cap when I push from the caliper syringe to syringe on the lever reservoir. Like the membrane doesn't seal the reservoir like it should.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi im looking at buying new hydraulics ive got clarks s2 on my bike at the minute and im having problems with them i was looking at the new shimano deore brakes are they better than clarks i have now