formerly Giantxc

Anyone riden both the Avid Juicy and Hope Mono Mini?

If so can you compare/contrast? I've pretty much narrowed my search for a front disc for my SS to one of these two (Marta SL's cost more and I have a bad feeling about the Formula B4SLs but like the low weight).

I've read a lot of discussion of both but couldn't find any from someone who has tried both.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I think you'll be lucky....

there doesn't seem to be too many Juicy's around at the mo......don't know why(SRAM buyout?)

mtbr member

New question here. I have the same question

Anyone has an opinion on these brakes? I currently have Minis -love the modulation and feel but hate the squeal. Mono Minis vs. Juicys are the choices for the new bike. Your comments will be appreciated.
    -Zuffen

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Well.......

I have both now :-) please keep in mind that the mini mono's are 140 in the rear 160 at the front whilst the Avid's are 160 at both ends.....

The Avid's are much easier to mount due to the CPS(really is a good idea) and makes fork swapping a breeze(which I do quite a bit).

The Mini's look nicer as they are CNC'd and the gold piston cover is super pimpey! The Avid levers look nicer than the hope and look better mounted on a bike. The lever blade is alos nicer as it isn't CNC'd so no ridge(s).

The Avid PAD adjuster is ace(it really does work well) you can balance the levers to your heart;s content. This feature matters to me, your mileage may vary.

Once broken in I much prefer the feel/modulation of the AVID's. To describe it .....Iwould say the Hopes are more metallic and you kind of expect them to squeal eventually. The Avid's feel softer more rubbery than metallic and they definately don't squeal(so far).

Downside to the AVID's you HAVE to buy a bleed kit unless you get your LBS to service 'em. You need the syringes and instructions which are a faff but do work.

In short the Avid's are a notch up in quality,feel, adjustability and overall package, but a notch down in terms of bleeding & cost.

My recommendation would be to get the Avid's if a) you can and b) can afford 'em.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply! Major props to the Juicys. Anyone else has an opinion?

recovering roadie
    I haven't ridden both, just the Mono Mini. To point out a couple of things - the Hope levers aren't really that rough. Never had a problem. Plus, there is an adjuster screw inside the "crotch" of the lever that does the same thing as the Avid big red dial thingie.

My Mono Minis came with 160 front and rear. You can get a 180 as well...

The looks are really nice, too. They mount right up to IS mount and no extra gadgets. If you swap wheels a lot that have different hubs, that might be a problem for you.

Good luck, and happy shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    I have both now :-) please keep in mind that the mini mono's are 140 in the rear 160 at the front whilst the Avid's are 160 at both ends.....

The Avid's are much easier to mount due to the CPS(really is a good idea) and makes fork swapping a breeze(which I do quite a bit).

The Mini's look nicer as they are CNC'd and the gold piston cover is super pimpey! The Avid levers look nicer than the hope and look better mounted on a bike. The lever blade is alos nicer as it isn't CNC'd so no ridge(s).

The Avid PAD adjuster is ace(it really does work well) you can balance the levers to your heart;s content. This feature matters to me, your mileage may vary.

Once broken in I much prefer the feel/modulation of the AVID's. To describe it .....Iwould say the Hopes are more metallic and you kind of expect them to squeal eventually. The Avid's feel softer more rubbery than metallic and they definately don't squeal(so far).

Downside to the AVID's you HAVE to buy a bleed kit unless you get your LBS to service 'em. You need the syringes and instructions which are a faff but do work.

In short the Avid's are a notch up in quality,feel, adjustability and overall package, but a notch down in terms of bleeding & cost.

My recommendation would be to get the Avid's if a) you can and b) can afford 'em.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    I haven't ridden both, just the Mono Mini. To point out a couple of things - the Hope levers aren't really that rough. Never had a problem. Plus, there is an adjuster screw inside the "crotch" of the lever that does the same thing as the Avid big red dial thingie.
    Actually that big red adjuster thingy on the Avids is different than the reach adjuster on the Hopes (unless they have changed their lever). The Avids have a reach adjuster also - but it is different than the big red thingy.

The reach adjuster sets how far out the brake levers sit from the handlebar.

The big red thingy adjusts the point at which the pads start to actually engage. Why is that useful? You can set the engagement independent of the reach.

No, that's not phonetic
    I own Juicys and tried the Monos (180/160) on a friend's bike briefly, and spent a day on the old Minis on a demo this winter (same levers as the Mono). I agree with everything Corky3 says. He pretty much summed it up including the fact that the Avids have a more comfortable lever. Personally, I think they look cooler than the Monos, though the calipers are kinda bulky compared the svelt Monos.

And as for the adjusters, the Avids do have BOTH a reach adjuster AND an engagement point adjuster (the red dial). No other hydro system has that.

After spending 8 months on the Juicys (I got one of the first sets offered for retail), I'd run right back out and get them again. They do squeal in the wet with the original stock C4 pads (EBC Golds are better, and the Avids now ship with B4 pads which are also quieter) and some of the rotors have sharp edges which can cause some brake stuttering. Mine work beautifully and they are better in sum total than any brake I have ever tried. Perfect? No. The best? Yes.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 05-18-2004 at 09:04 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Tscheesy....

Yep we agree 100%.... I too would buy the Avid's they are the best (at the moment).

The interesting thing with the Juicy's are that they seemed to have been pictured/shipped with differing disc shapes and drillings....... mine are the 'angular waveys' with 3 hole drilling, I've seen them the same with 2 hole drillings and also with proper wavey discs. I know there have been some issues with disc shape patents blah blah.

Also interesting is your info about the pads, I''l try the EBCs if the current ones start squealing.

All I need now is the Goodridge hose kit 109 to become available and I'm set.(these hoses made a difference to the Hopes so I'm gonna get rid of those damn olives and replace the Avid hose with Goodridge(they say end of may it should be available).

cheers

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    And as for the adjusters, the Avids do have BOTH a reach adjuster AND an engagement point adjuster (the red dial). No other hydro system has that.
    Actually, the Hope C2 Pros (which are still available) have both features as well. But, the Hopes are a closed system vs the open system of the Avid. I owned 2 sets of C2s a couple years ago and they were a very nice brake. Granted, I couldn't see myself on another set with today's current line of brakes.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com