mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Anyone remember how to setup V-brakes?!

Old school / old tech I know but am having trouble setting up a rear v-brake on my bike. The front set up just fine.

When I put the V-brake 'stopper' in the center hole of the frame boss I can get the shoes setup the way they should be (in the center of the rim, toed in properly etc) but I cannot seem to get any spring tension on the arms even with the screw-in tensioners all the way in.

If I put the stopper on the upper hole (nearest the seat stay) of the frame boss I can get very good tension on the springs but can't get enough adjustment to get the shoes in the center of the rim. They barely miss the tire and are hitting on the very top of the rim. The V-brakes are XT brakes that I had bought maybe 4 years ago and never found a use for till now.

I KNOW that these brakes should be able to be setup in the center hole but I just can't get it done - am I missing something obvious?? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you rearrange the washers on the bolt holding the pad cartridge to the brake arm? That should give you some more flexibility...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, I tried swapping the thick washers to the inside which, as I thought it would, made the spring tension even less. I think I'll try to bend the springs to get more tension unless there's a better idea out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bending the spring arms a little did the trick ... now they work perfectly.

Figured you'd already tried "adjusting" the springs manually...missed the part where you mention you just were using the tension screws. Glad it's worked out!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

The Mud Stud
    Unfortunately I still do. I know alot of things. Some of them I probably shouldnt.