Mileage Junkie

Anyone recently decide to go with HS33's?

New bike build is in the works, and I still am using vee brakes. Problem is, that I'm finding that I need more power, and am not getting it with my current setup (Avid's).

I remember from back in the day, I was running HS33's, and was pretty happy with them. It got me to thinking that maybe I should track down a pair and try them out, but then figured, I'd ask around here and see if anyone did something similar.

I would rather throw the weight into the brakes, than the brakes and wheels, which is going to cost more money up front.

Any reason that HS33's aren't a viable solution?

mtbr member
    If your bike is disc brake compatible you could go that way. However, brakes and wheels will probably cost you more than your exisiting bike is worth. Magura HS 33's, while still apparently being available are getting harder and harder to find. Also, there's also the fact you'll have to replace rims eventually which you don't with discs. Have you considered just buying a new bike with discs?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    New bike build is in the works, and I still am using vee brakes. Problem is, that I'm finding that I need more power, and am not getting it with my current setup (Avid's).

I remember from back in the day, I was running HS33's, and was pretty happy with them. It got me to thinking that maybe I should track down a pair and try them out, but then figured, I'd ask around here and see if anyone did something similar.

I would rather throw the weight into the brakes, than the brakes and wheels, which is going to cost more money up front.

Any reason that HS33's aren't a viable solution?

Mileage Junkie

Bike is disc ready....

Bike is disc ready, this was just a "are the HS33's holding their own for you" kinda post.

Still debating, not sure if I want to splurge on discs/wheels, or just stay rim for now.

A wheelist
    "are the HS33's holding their own for you"
    The HS series of rim brakes are doing fine and are an exceptional rim brake. Once set, they take almost no adjustment save for a bit of pad wear. I have the HS33s predecessor, the mid to late '90s HS22 on my winter bike and they just flat out work well.

The Magura rim brakes have been upgraded for 2005 to be a lot easier to install and set up. They have a whole new booster and Evolution Adaptor system to allow this.

See it on their site!
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Mileage Junkie

Saw them...

Saw them on Maggie's site, didn't really notice a huge difference, but noticed that there must be SOME difference. Question is whether or not they are different bad, or different good, cuz before they were just good.

I wonder if the 2005's are lighter by chance? Noticeable lighter too, not like *we didn't paint them, so they are 5 grams lighter*, lighter.

More research to do!

A wheelist
    Saw them on Maggie's site, didn't really notice a huge difference, but noticed that there must be SOME difference. Question is whether or not they are different bad, or different good, cuz before they were just good.
    I wonder if the 2005's are lighter by chance? Noticeable lighter too, not like *we didn't paint them, so they are 5 grams lighter*, lighter.
    More research to do!
    Heck EVERYTHING has changed for 2005 'cept the actual slave cylinders. The master cylinder is totally different. Check out its TPA adjuster from the previous vulnerable one. The brakes are now "plug 'n play" without the Evo Adaptors flopping all over the place during setup. The new booster will take much wider tires (a real problem with the old version) and I'll bet there is less flex due to there being no Elbow anymore. Really it's a whole different brake.

Weight should never be an issue if we're talking about Magura rim brakes. Their goal is braking power and "fit & forget" not ultimate lightness.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member

Good Stuff

A buddy just got a set of them on my recomendation. (i used to use them a few years back before i went disc) they came in and we set them up, and that was a pain. you may as well just chuck the instuction manual as it's useless) but just think your way through it and you will be fine. set-up for everything was about an hour (most of the time scratching our heads) and now he is off and running and couldn't be happier! we still need to shorten the front hose as it's just as long as the rear one (way to go magura )I rode his bike to check them out and i love them, although i am still happier with my juicy's.

he got them from craig at "the mendon cyclesmith" (585-624-2120) and paid around $215 with shipping--craig's a great guy! good luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    A buddy just got a set of them on my recomendation. (i used to use them a few years back before i went disc) they came in and we set them up, and that was a pain. you may as well just chuck the instuction manual as it's useless) but just think your way through it and you will be fine. set-up for everything was about an hour (most of the time scratching our heads) and now he is off and running and couldn't be happier! we still need to shorten the front hose as it's just as long as the rear one (way to go magura )I rode his bike to check them out and i love them, although i am still happier with my juicy's.

he got them from craig at "the mendon cyclesmith" (585-624-2120) and paid around $215 with shipping--craig's a great guy! good luck
    Can I assume he got the old pre-2005 models? The ones with the black elbows on the Evolution Adaptors?

There are many setup tips on my
    Magura Cult Site

mtbr member

05?

I think he has the 05 models with the new booster! I know craig had to order them, they were not old stock--so I think they are the newer ones. Thanks for the cult homepage and I will pass it along!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Authority is dead!
    160$ a set '05 maybe? . Remember, once your rims are wet, brakes fade quite a bit.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the '05 boosters are pretty flimsy. If you need HS33s, just check out a trials site such as trialsin.com
    pay me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    160$ a set '05 maybe? . Remember, once your rims are wet, brakes fade quite a bit.
    I'm putting one of these (with an HS66 lever) on a drop bar FG offroader with ceramic rims.

Jimi at Magura said the stock black pads would work fine with ceramic rims, but I thought gray or green was required.

Will the black pads abrade the ceramic coating, or will the ceramic just wear away the black pads faster?

There must be some reason for the different pad compounds...

Thanks...RC