DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Anyone have R1 or RX with the new XTR shifters?

I'm wondering how they mount up. I currently have Oro K24s and the thickness of the lever at the clamp area means the shifters cannot snug right up against the brakes. I set my bikes up for 1-finger braking, so the brakes are in-board of the shifters. If I put the shifters in-board and have the brakes in the correct location for 1-finger braking, then the shifters are really far away. I wanted to see if anyone has this setup so I could see if Formula has fixed the mounting issue. Pics would be great!

Thanks
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the R-1's and the Oro Puros. I know what you mean about the puros. I now run them (oros) on my SS. The R-1's don't have this problem.

The Oro Puro was a star in terms of functionality, but the ergonomics of the master cylinder leave a lot of room for improvement. First off, there is considerable distance between the mounting clamp and the tip of the lever. In order to set up for proper one- or two-finger braking, it's therefore necessary to slide the clamp way in on the handlebar. This isn't an issue in and of itself, but it can cause some problems in terms of shifter positioning.
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/...eviews/oropuro

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bt
    The Oro Puro was a star in terms of functionality, but the ergonomics of the master cylinder leave a lot of room for improvement. First off, there is considerable distance between the mounting clamp and the tip of the lever. In order to set up for proper one- or two-finger braking, it's therefore necessary to slide the clamp way in on the handlebar.
    You don't say? Yeah, the review is spot on. This morning was my first ride with them on the new bike, and I still need to make some adjustments, like angling the lever down a little more, but they are a star in terms of functionality. I use Formula Megas with 8F/7R on my other bike, and while these don't have the raw power of those with only 7F/6R, they do feel fantastic and still have power to spare. Although I was able to get the shifters tucked in under them, they are angled down away from the levers quite a bit (the pic doesn't show that well though) but I think it might be workable. I actually need to move the shifters even a little further in as they contact my thumb somewhat while riding, so they'll be angled down even a little bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have R1 or RX with the new XTR shifters?-orolever.jpg  

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac