mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone gone back to v's?

Have the opportunity to score a new XC bike(Ti Moots) that is decked out all in XTR w/ the one catch that it has V's on it. Been running Marta's the last two years. I can have them weld on disc mounts down the road, but the big ole canti bosses will stay. Local riding is very dry/dusty, will I notice much of a loss by going back to the XTR V's over the Martas? Or do I pony up and just get I bike w/ discs from the get go?

Authority is dead!
    You can always ruv disc front/V rear. I don't think you'll need rear in dry XC conditions anyway.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I switched back to V's when I got a new (to me) singlespeed frame. I notice less braking power, but can still stop just fine. I only miss the discs when I have to stop immediately after a water crossing, and even then its not bad at all. For dry riding you should be fine, and like you said, if you really want discs you can modify the frame later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd have to agree... disc in the rear isn't really necessary a lot of the time. Generally I use my rear brake more when the traction is sloppy at best, and while disc brakes grab better in teh wet, generally, the modulation doesn't help a bit when you're fishtailing around. If you're riding in dry dusty conditions, there's no reason why you shoudln't get really good performance from Vs.

You can still get some really juicy performance out of V brakes if you know how to tune them properly. From all accounts, XTR Vs are really good. I'm an avid man, myself, and I have to say there are days when I think my SD7/ceramic rim/salsa brake booster setup was just as powerful as my current avid mech 203. Less modulation, maybe, but that just means more immediate power when you squeeze the trigger. Just don't ever clean those ceramic rims, and you'll be fine.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004

I have V's on my old bike.

I just recently got a new bike with disc brakes and all that. My old bike is set up for V's. Just this afternoon I was riding my old bike down a hill at a pretty good pace when I came to a fairly tight turn. I hit the brakes and began to slow, but not enough. I had to really throw on the binders (risking lock) as I was entering the clearing and in my turn lost a bit of traction as I skidded the tiniest bit. It wasn't anything earthshaking, but I realized right then that the discs are stronger brakes. If you go with the V's just be sure to keep this in mind, I have only been away from V brakes for a month and it took a wtf moment to get me back in sync with the V's.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Have the opportunity to score a new XC bike(Ti Moots) that is decked out all in XTR w/ the one catch that it has V's on it. Been running Marta's the last two years. I can have them weld on disc mounts down the road, but the big ole canti bosses will stay. Local riding is very dry/dusty, will I notice much of a loss by going back to the XTR V's over the Martas? Or do I pony up and just get I bike w/ discs from the get go?
    I think it depends on the brakes. I have one bike setup with discs (Avid mechanical), one bike setup with ceramic rims and v-brakes (Avid Arch Supremes), and one bike setup with normal rims and v-brakes (Avid single digit 1.0s I think).

I notice a big difference when I go from the normal v-brake setup to disc. If I ride the normal v-brake bike for a while without riding the disc brake bike, then take the disc brake bike for a ride, I just about go over the bars the first time I hit the brakes. The difference is very noticeable, and you really have to re-calibrate yourself to the different brakes.

However, I don't notice this at all when I switch between the ceramic wheel/v-brake setup and the discs. They feel very much the same. The disc brakes setup probably does have a bit more power, but I don't notice it on the trail (the exception to this, is that the ceramic wheel v-brake setup does lose a bit of power when it's wet, but not nearly as much as a non-ceramic rim). The best thing I can say about the ceramic wheel/v-brake setup, is that when I'm riding the bike, it never crosses my mind that I have v-brakes on the bike. With normal rims and v-brakes, I notice the lack of braking power all the time, especially when it's wet.

That being said, given the choice I would go with discs. Less hassle, longer pad life, and better performance. However, if you really want the frame, ceramic rims and vees can give you very good braking performance. However, you do have to buy a set of ceramic rims...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I had a Moots YBB with V's.

I considered sending the frame to Moots and having them weld on a disc mount to the frame but here's why I dident, Moots want's $250 dollars to add this mount, A desent wheel set with disc brakes will be about $500 then some good hydralic brakes will be 4=500 bucks. I would have cost Me $1250 to turn my bike into a disc brake setup. Instead I've taken advantage of My Moot's outstanding resale value and sold it the build my Ellsworth Moment with Hope Mono M4 brakes 200mm front and 180mm rear.
    I'm not saying to sell the Moots as it's a supurbe frame infact I think $1200 is a good investment on a Moots. I just happened to want something with more freeride capibility than a YBB.