11 is one louder than 10

Anyone figure out how to use a 180 rotor with Hayes?

Just wondering if anyone has figured out an adapter, or used an adapter from another MFG to run a 7inch rotor up front with hayes brakes. thanks.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Bodhisattva
    I dunno. Would the Magura adaptor work?

I have one that converts the rear from 160 to 180 so maybe it would work up front. If you can find out quickly then I'll mail it to you to try out since I'm not currently using it.
    Let me know quicky cause i'm in mega-pack mode.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    Just wondering if anyone has figured out an adapter, or used an adapter from another MFG to run a 7inch rotor up front with hayes brakes. thanks.
    The Magura might work although I think the adapter for the Louise FR bumps it up from 180 to 210 for a 30mm jump. You could contact Jimi to be sure.

This one would definitely work though...

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/ada.htm
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have an IS mount front fork then use a rear adapter IS to Hayes adapter on the front- it will work. Also I was able to use the Avid cup and cone washers to make alignment of the caliper easier.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    If you have an IS mount front fork then use a rear adapter IS to Hayes adapter on the front- it will work. Also I was able to use the Avid cup and cone washers to make alignment of the caliper easier.

I forgot the Hayes already has an IS adapter so that would be 2 adapters with what I was looking at. You are right. Using a rear 203 IS adapter on the front is easier.
    Long Live Long Rides

11 is one louder than 10

so what I'm hearing is...

take the 8 inch adapter for the rear and run it up front, and the 7 inch rotor should work without a problem? or do any other mods/spacing/grinding issues need to be done.

thanks - GG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    take the 8 inch adapter for the rear and run it up front, and the 7 inch ..
    thanks - GG

You don't use the 8" rear adapter, you use a 6" rear adapter on the front and then a Avid 185mm rotor (about 7.25") will work. You may also have to use the washer system from the Avids to get the caliper to align correctly.

11 is one louder than 10

thanks

I may just give that a try this week or next. My fear was the adapter running things too high or low, but it sounds like it may just be a few spacers in either direction. Worth a shot I suppose.

Do It Yourself
    I may just give that a try this week or next. My fear was the adapter running things too high or low, but it sounds like it may just be a few spacers in either direction. Worth a shot I suppose.
    DOH! Sorry I was confused again. I know the same adapter will give you a 20mm difference from front to rear but brainfarted as to which one is smaller. Magura and I'm sure others make a 180mmx2mm rotor so you don't have to use the Avid 185.
    Long Live Long Rides

11 is one louder than 10

actually 185 wouldn't be bad

easier and cheaper to find a 185 rotor than a 180.

"El Whatever"

Yup...

Use the adapters and rotors for an Avíd 185mm. Both Hayez and Avíd calipers are designed to fit directly to a Manitou post mount (well, the Avíd uses the spherical washers, not the Hayez). So, any adaptor for the Avíd will work for the Hayez.

Even Avíd recommends some Hayez adapters they do not manufacture....
    Check my Site

mtbr member

rear adapter is 74mm???

Just wondering ...is the rear adapter for hayes 6" is 74mm , isn't it??..will tit fit to 51mm front IS of fork??? or with anoher adapter??/ correct me if i'm wrong... peace!!!
    +++++++++++++++++
    *Disclaimer: Arlopex shall not be liable for the content or any errors or omissions in the information provided in the Comments section, and conclusions drawn from such information are the responsibility of the user.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by arlopex
    Just wondering ...is the rear adapter for hayes 6" is 74mm , isn't it??..will tit fit to 51mm front IS of fork??? or with anoher adapter??/ correct me if i'm wrong... peace!!!
    Let's break it down...

The caliper barenaked is 74mm PM. You need ONE adapter to fit the caliper to the 51mm IS rear mount. The adapter has 74mm PM on one side and 51mm IS on the other.

NOTE ... the front and rear adapters are different (even when they both fit a 74mm PM to 51mm IS)
    Check my Site

mtbr member

it works but...

I hope you can help me VT no 1 2 or 3, I followed your suggestion using the rear hayes adapter for 6" and it works fine perfectly...i used a 180mm 2mm thick aztec rotor...they are exactly fits with no washer at all...i just cant fugure.. out theres friction between the pad and rotor maybe because the 2mm is too thick or do i just need to adjust the caliper alighment ...what did you do or you dont have this problem with avid? i'll try again tonight to align it to the claiper i hope i'll work...o well....your suggestion are welcome. thanks
    +++++++++++++++++
    *Disclaimer: Arlopex shall not be liable for the content or any errors or omissions in the information provided in the Comments section, and conclusions drawn from such information are the responsibility of the user.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    EASY!...for a 185 mm rotor (not 180 mm, not "7 inch"). Most - if not all - Hayes calipers are 74 mm post mount and use a bolt-on mount for IS.

Just buy an Avid 185 mm mount and the 185 mm rotor of your choice and bolt them on.
    DONE!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Wink 180mm is 7.092 inches....

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    EASY!...for a 185 mm rotor (not 180 mm, not "7 inch"). Most - if not all - Hayes calipers are 74 mm post mount and use a bolt-on mount for IS.

Just buy an Avid 185 mm mount and the 185 mm rotor of your choice and bolt them on.
    DONE!

180mm is 7.092 inches....185mm is 7.289..nway i already bought the 180mm and rear hayes..adapter...it fits well....i just cant figure out how to take away the dragging or rubbing of rotor and the pad....should i adjust the pad...but its self adjusting right? is there a technic to properly align the rotor to the caliper? i tried the hayes instruction to squeeze it then torque but still theres little dragging...if i leave it like that, will it affect the performance of the brake? or any affect on my riding? or do i need to break-in the rotor with the pad so it will fit properly..thanks for the suggestion.
    +++++++++++++++++

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you tried pushing the pistions back into the caliper to allow them to adjust to the thicker rotor? Also I don't center the caliper over the rotor- I center it over the warps in the rotor. I do this by using automotive feeler gauges, spining the wheel till I find the most warped section and move the wheel so the most warped section is in the caliper, put about a .005 to .010 feeler gauge between the rotor and caliper, sqeeze the brake lever to hold everything in place and torque down the caliper mounting bolts. I may have to repeat the process several times using different thickness of feeler gauge till I get things right. If you have put in new pads you may not beable to eliminate the rubbing till the pads wear a bit to get enough clearance.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member

Thanks

Have you tried pushing the pistions back into the caliper to allow them to adjust to the thicker rotor? Also I don't center the caliper over the rotor- I center it over the warps in the rotor. I do this by using automotive feeler gauges, spining the wheel till I find the most warped section and move the wheel so the most warped section is in the caliper, put about a .005 to .010 feeler gauge between the rotor and caliper, sqeeze the brake lever to hold everything in place and torque down the caliper mounting bolts. I may have to repeat the process several times using different thickness of feeler gauge till I get things right. If you have put in new pads you may not beable to eliminate the rubbing till the pads wear a bit to get enough clearance.
    I'm thinking of doing that last night but i'm tired already... i'll try it tonight push the piston...then i'll you know if evrything works fine...thanks.
    +++++++++++++++++

not so super...

Avid, Hayes and Hope...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy???

DONE!
    Shiggy is correct - Use the Avid Adaptors. I run a 203mm front and 185mm rear using Hayes brakes, Avid Mounts and Hope Rotors.

Avid Adaptors are cheaper than the Hayes also!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm I got it...

VT no 1 2 I got it...I pushed the piston a little...and now its ok...i already test ride the bike last saturday...and its awesome....thanks for the suggestion....

shiggy and ssinga..thanks also for the suggestion but i'm ok with the 180mm maybe next time...BTW i can only run 185mm max on my fork not to void the warranty. maybe the rear I'll use the 185mm avid. adapter ..thanks ..peace go ride
    +++++++++++++++++