I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010

Anyone ever use HBRMHIS? Hope 22m adapter

So I'm stuck with my old 2000Trek VRX's rear 22m Hayes brake, can't seem to get it working again and of course it uses a mount long since sent to pasture. I've seen the A2Z adapter but it would require a larger disc and I'm not keen on that idea, the 160m. was plenty. Has anyone used Hope's HBRMHIS adapter? I've found a source and it looks correct (and much smaller than the A2Z item) but I'm curious as to whether it will work with a small disc or if it also requires a larger one.

Anyone have experience? I've got a msg in to Hope as well...

I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010
    To answer my own question both Hope and the vendor I found both say this will work with a seatstay mount and stock disc - have it on order and will post an update.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi, can you tell which shop has this adapter? I tried to order from few places and seems that it's unavailable no matter of what stock status the shops have.
    I know about the A2Z adapter and some guy with machine shop in Denver(?) has advertised his custom adapter here on the mtbr or Craigslist.

It's hard to find part and I'm not even sure if there is enough room in the size S Attitude rear triangle for adapter and caliper.

I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010
    False inventory here too. Hope was contacted directly as well and they say they don't even have the schematic anymore.

I need to decide to either have a custom bracket made or buy old stock brakes. I'm torn as replacing the rear brake is simplest but means using a 10yr old brake, paying as much for it as a new set, and leaves me in the same place should something go wrong. Making a bracket involves time and possibly experimentation.

Former Bike Wrench
    What is it that you can't get working on that old Hayes caliper? There are very few parts in the caliper and it would be cheap just to replace them all. Same with the lever, or you can still find HFX-Mag's (or Nines) on sale...both of which will work with the G1 Caliper you have.

I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010
    Honestly I'm not sure - it could be caliper or lever, my LBS couldn't fix it and although I was a mechanic for two years, it was 10yrs ago right when this stuff came out.

My LBS said nothing pumps out of the lever but I did disassemble it and nothing looked out of sorts, ripped, scratched, etc. I tried swapping a known good lever to the caliper with no dice but that may have been from loss of fluid/not bleeding.

I'd rather not go in circles trying to figure out which piece is shot if I could just hot swap something in for a reasonable cost.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well having worked on many a Hayes brake...sounds like your LBS mechanic is clueless. There just isn't that much to them. The caliper is nothing more than two pistons, two piston seals, and a cross over port seal...so if fluid is moving to it then it will work. A caliper rebuild kit costs $20...less than any adapter. But is sounds like a lever issue and swapping levers without bleeding is accomplishing nothing...it takes 5 minutes to bleed the brakes so there is no excuse here. At worst, a master cylinder kit cost $60 and completely replaces the guts of the MFX Mag lever.

My point being...your best option (and likely cheapest option) is to fix the brakes you have. Since your LBS Mechanic is retarded, I would recommend you do it yourself. Here is a link to all the manuals you need
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/suppor.../hfx-mag-plus/

I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010
    I have the original '99 Hayes, non-split clamps which Hayes says is non-serviceable with current parts - they said after they went to split clamp the internals changed on the lever. I guess I should go to one of the big shops in the area, get a bleed kit and futz around with the known good lever & existing caliper. Hayes says later levers inc current ones will work fine and I have a source for NOS caliper if I needed it. Sounds like I need to do the troubleshooting myself on this one, and that's probably best anyways.

Still, wish that adapter was available just so I'd have the ability to change to more current brakes as desired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I found another adapter "B&S Rear Parallel Mount Adapter" at http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html and they seem to be available on eBay as well.
    Looks a bit cheap in the pics but if it works it will do. If it doesn't work there's always option to attack a piece of alum. with hack saw and Dremel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    I found another adapter "B&S Rear Parallel Mount Adapter" at http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html and they seem to be available on eBay as well.
    Looks a bit cheap in the pics but if it works it will do. If it doesn't work there's always option to attack a piece of alum. with hack saw and Dremel....
    Just to finish this project: I ordered this adapter, super fast delivery and it's been in light use for month and a half. The adapter is powdercoated as was the chainstay mount on the Klein so I filed both interfaces clean before bolting them together. Angle of the Klein chainstay mount seems little offset as well but so far no problems except that the hose exits in a bit strange angle meaning that about dozen zip ties are needed to route the hose.

I used older ('04) Magura Louise front caliper to fit 160mm rear, normal IS rear caliper would have meant 180mm rotor.