~Disc~Golf~

Anyone Ever Rotate Their Pads? (DISC)

Anyone Ever Rotate Their Pads? (F<-->R)
    And did you have any probs w/ power?

I swapped mine a while back because I thought I would get more life out of them. (BB7)
    The fronts were obviously more worn than the rears, and I 'rotated' at what I thought would be about the combined 'half-life'.

I did not see any obvious ledges on the pads, but gave them a light sanding (flat) just in case. The pads (respectively) looked to be evenly worn, tho I never mic'd them.

The , I guess, problem is that I don't seem to have the same power as before - I get 'better' (if you can call it that - my bud seems to like the action better) 'modulation, but at the cost of finger strength - kinda like fouled pads, but not nearly to the same degree.

I'm wondering if the minuscule toe-in wear and/or camber wear is just making these take MUCH longer to bed-in...

BTW - sintered pads/roundagons if that matters.

I could be trippin - what are your thoughts?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Just a flesh wound
    Dude, I've only rotated the rotors. Sounds pretty trippy to me.

But it's probably that the pads are worn slightly askew, and unlike new ones they are not flat (relative to the rotor plane) and need extra time for bedding in.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I tried rotating once, and later inspected only the fronts and forgot that i had rotated them. The result was that the rear wore all the way down to the base metal and chewed up my rotor. I dont think there is much to gain either.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Anyone Ever Rotate Their Pads? (F<-->R)
    And did you have any probs w/ power?

I swapped mine a while back because I thought I would get more life out of them. (BB7)
    The fronts were obviously more worn than the rears, and I 'rotated' at what I thought would be about the combined 'half-life'.

I did not see any obvious ledges on the pads, but gave them a light sanding (flat) just in case. The pads (respectively) looked to be evenly worn, tho I never mic'd them.

The , I guess, problem is that I don't seem to have the same power as before - I get 'better' (if you can call it that - my bud seems to like the action better) 'modulation, but at the cost of finger strength - kinda like fouled pads, but not nearly to the same degree.

I'm wondering if the minuscule toe-in wear and/or camber wear is just making these take MUCH longer to bed-in...

BTW - sintered pads/roundagons if that matters.

I could be trippin - what are your thoughts?
    I think what happened is that the pads were bedded into their respective rotors, and when you changed them, they needed to re-bed. In addition to any surface irregularities on the rotors, the calipers might be in slightly different positions relative to the rotors. I know when I change rotors and keep the same pads (like when changing rotor sizes), there is some break in time.

I'm not sure this would give you any more life out of the pads. I guess if you want the pads to all be worn out at the same time this makes sense, but the total life out of the two combined sets would be about the same, you would just have to change the front first. If anything, I would think that the re-bedding probably just makes them wear even faster (though not much).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I think what happened is that the pads were bedded into their respective rotors, and when you changed them, they needed to re-bed. In addition to any surface irregularities on the rotors, the calipers might be in slightly different positions relative to the rotors. I know when I change rotors and keep the same pads (like when changing rotor sizes), there is some break in time.

I'm not sure this would give you any more life out of the pads. I guess if you want the pads to all be worn out at the same time this makes sense, but the total life out of the two combined sets would be about the same, you would just have to change the front first. If anything, I would think that the re-bedding probably just makes them wear even faster (though not much).
    I was going to say the same thing. Thanks for saving me all the typing.

They will probably bed in and be fine but I'd bet the idea is counter productive as far as preventative maintenance goes. I always buy a set and install them as needed. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Try doing 70 hard but inconclusive stops on each caliper. What I mean is, go fast, stop, but not all the way and go again. This will re-bed the pads.
    Trouble getting your BB5/BB7's set up, try this method

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

Agreed. Pads bed in to match the rotor. Rotating them is non-productive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Dude, I've only rotated the rotors. Sounds pretty trippy to me.

But it's probably that the pads are worn slightly askew, and unlike new ones they are not flat (relative to the rotor plane) and need extra time for bedding in.
    Ha! I rotate my rotors too!

Good lesson here: Don't bother rotating pads.
    I suppose it also follows that if you remove pads from front or rear, that you remember which pad was left/right.

When pads wear, just buy new ones. It gives you a good excuse to go to the bike shop and wander aimlessly for a couple of hours

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I rotate mine from the caliper to the trash and install new set works every time.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    As a habit, I don't do it. But one DH day, I had a mental fart and didn't once-over the pads on my bike until, after my first run, something felt "wrong". I checked the pads, the front was down to VERY little pad ... so I swapped them to the rear and the rears to the front ... got me through the day without having to spend exorbitant resort pad prices ($90 for A PAIR of Shimano pads? No thanks).

There's no good reason to rotate pads, unless you're REALLY thrifty and REALLY want to delay replacing your pads until you have to do the front and rear at the same time.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    When pads wear, just buy new ones. It gives you a good excuse to go to the bike shop and wander aimlessly for a couple of hours
    great advice!
    Honestly... ahh I give up