I always bleed like this.

Anyone ever dye a hydraulic hose?

I picked up a new hose from Jenson. It is more orange than I hoped for so I was considering dying it darker, probably just go for black.
    Anyone ever try it? I know dying plastic is easy as pie, I am going to use the same home brew method with some warm water and Rit dye.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I have never heard of dying a brake hose. But I woudl be interested to find out more. I would like my white brake lines to be yellow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    may be better off trying one of the vinyl paints (they come in rattle cans). I've used vinyl and plastic rattlecan paints on other stuff (car door panels, plastic storm doors) with good results, but haven't used them on something like a brake line.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

switchback sculptor
    heat shrink tubbing comes in many colors.
    looks great.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hmmm...bet I have the same housing, seemed like the better choice between orange or pink. Might be worth a try.

I just tried it. It works to a degree.
    I tried red, hoping it would just darken the orange, no dice.
    I then did black. It took 10x as long as they show on youtube but it does work.
    If I had left it in longer I am sure it would have gone all the way to black.
    I will post some pics later.

mtbr member
    THIS >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by erosive
    heat shrink tubbing comes in many colors.
    looks great.

Heat shrink was my backup plan.
    I wanted to try this out anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever dye a hydraulic hose?-original-hose.jpg  

Anyone ever dye a hydraulic hose?-hose-dye.jpg  

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    I just tried it. It works to a degree.
    I tried red, hoping it would just darken the orange, no dice.
    I then did black. It took 10x as long as they show on youtube but it does work.
    If I had left it in longer I am sure it would have gone all the way to black.
    I will post some pics later.
    How long?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why didnt you just return it, and get a black one? In the amount of time and $ spent on dye, you probably would have been cheaper to pay shipping twice. Just sayin.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798
    Why didnt you just return it, and get a black one? In the amount of time and $ spent on dye, you probably would have been cheaper to pay shipping twice. Just sayin.
    Because the Orange is on clearnace for $13.99 (Black is $60) and Rit dye cost $3...and sticking the housing in a bucket of dye doesn't involve a whole lot of labor

Just Sayin

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Because the Orange is on clearnace for $13.99 (Black is $60) and Rit dye cost $3...and sticking the housing in a bucket of dye doesn't involve a whole lot of labor

Just Sayin
    Agreed. And I learned something. Some people like to tinker. I could have found some black hose for $30 but $25 with shipping and dye I learned something new. Well worth it to me.

I mean, I am sure I could have taken my car into the shop and had them put front brakes on two nights ago, but I decided to do it myself. I saved a couple of hundred dollars and now have new rotors and pads. Took me two hours. I would never had been confident that I could do that if sometime in the past I had not tinkered around and spent more time and money than needed to learn it.