mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Anyone else having problems with Formula RX?

I have had a pair of Oros for 4 years and love them but just got a Scott Scale 29 with Formula RX brakes - 180 front and 160 rear. I am ready to chuck them because they grind and pulse and are making downhill not very enjoyable. They come stock with sintered pads and I am wondering if the pads are the problem or the brake design. I took the pads off and found some rough edges near the top and sanded them down. That worked well for about 15 minutes of downhill and then they started to grind again. They also make an unbelievable shriek when they get wet. Should I try organic pads or chuck these brakes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    RX's have organic pads stock.

mtbr member
    My brand new pair makes an awful lot of noise but they stop me good and proper - can't complain.

SIngletrack Mind
    Just perusing for info like this. My RX's only have about 300 miles on them, but they continue to annoy me. My previous Magura Martas were totally silent - no grinding, no squealing like the RX's. Maybe the Formulas are a little stronger, but I ride XC and discs are already plenty string for me. Going to try some Koolstops and see what happens.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got the same problem with a brand new RX. Front grinds and pulses but the rear is smooth and silent. No resolution yet.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    I've got the same problem with a brand new RX. Front grinds and pulses but the rear is smooth and silent. No resolution yet.
    My RX is 4 weeks old and I also get pulses in the front but no noise. The rear is perfect. Both front and rear have alligator 160mm serr rotors. I bought 180mm formula r1 rotors upfront but the result is the same, it pulses.

mtbr member
    They came with the bike I 've recently sold,it was with R1 pistons and RX clamps. Yes I had some issuese during long downhills : they could not stand heat much and they started to smell like someone in the area was cooking some italian pasta dish ( I've asked my riding buddies if there was a restaurant in the vicinity... ). Once reached the valley the braking power was terrible and the lever was moving all the way up to the handle,I had to wait a few minutes before having them back to normal operation. Not happy with the RX
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My front RX if fine for the first ~100km, and 3-4 hard descents. I'm 195lbs, run Superstar flame 180mm rotor (this things are 2mm thick! and can't be bent easily) and no problems with any sounds during braking.

During one very fast descent with more than 200m of nonstop braking she faded a little cause of the heat (the rotor was hot like hell and changed colours and the original pads smelled ), but I could make a safe stop if I wanted, and the lever wasn't near my bars. But on that part of the trail, all my previous brakes faded, even Code 5.
    No pulsing whatsoever

Since I have a QR fork (RS Revelation 2011 150mm), sometimes you could hear a small sound from the rotor (like a resonate sound) if going more than 35kmh in rough terrain, but thats all. I'm quite satisfied with the RX.

And yeah, my pads spring was bent a little on one edge (when I bought the brake), and it touched the rotor and made a very silent squeal sound. Fixed it and now no problems. The pads are very close to the rotor and it need 5minutes to center the pads/caliper so the wheel turns freely with no sound, but that's that.

mtbr member
    My RX's run great. I'm using XT centerlock rotors (because they were there). The calipers were moved out with a shim to get the pads away from the rotor arms.
    Last edited by jrsbike; 05-17-2011 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I have these on my new Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 and I noticed that the rear is making a noise and pulsing. I have very few miles on this bike (less than 50) so i was writing it off as new/not fully seated yet. I will keep an eye on them though. I don't much care for the noise it makes. I certainly hope they quiet up fairly soon.

mtbr member
    I have a set on a near new Orbea Carpe H.30 commuter bike. Nearing 400 miles and these things are embarrassingly noisy and tend to squeal like stuck pigs.

Anyone find a "fix" for this problem?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Same here guys, front pulsating and grinding when going slow, at speeds over 4-5mph it is all smooth again.

Running stock pads, ordered some sintered going to try those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My original RX rotors were fine. They took quite a while to break in but are super smooth... The rotors arent glass smooth like some people want out of there brakes but they give you a feel like youre in control.

Man, Id start over on your bed in. Sand, clean with alcohol and start over very slow...
    Last edited by cdubb30; 09-19-2012 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I switched to sintered pads, only done two rides so far but seems much better.

mtbr member
    I rode to work and then back home again (about 13 miles total) in heavy rain a few weeks ago, I had about 500 miles on them then. They were ridiculously noisy when wet.

A very interesting thing happened though...the next day it was dry and the brakes had quieted down considerably. Maybe there was residue from the break in phase that the rain cleaned off?

They are still much noisier than any of the Hayes Hydros I've used over the last decade, but much quieter than before the rain.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

President of the Internet
    Mine only seem to be noisy when they heat up. I figure most brakes are going to make noise. My big problem is getting the front not to rub.

Can you guys get your RX's set up so they don't rub? Mine have about 300 miles and the front has like a half a mm of space on each side of the rotor.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

mtbr member
    I have almost 1,100 miles on mine now, never had a problem with dragging/rubbing, just squealing. Are your rotors still true?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had some pulsing, grinding and squealing with RX. I could Get them to stop rubbing either.
    What worked for me was to ditch the R1 rotors. I run oro rotors with sintered pads front and organic pads rear.
    I have had no more noise or issues for more than a year now.

mtbr member
    Squeal, Grind. Sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    MIne are behaving great silent and just perfect. The sintered pads are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Which pads did you buy (other than sintered)...?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought two different type of pads.

These I put on the rear brake.

Amazon.com: RavX Formula the One, Semi-Metal Disc Pads: Sports & Outdoors

They work ok and are cheap, they rattle around a bit but work well. The spring is not as strong and even when using the formula spring they are not as tight.

These I put on the front

Amazon.com: Kool Stop Replacement Bicycle Disc Brake Pads: Sports & Outdoors

Get the formula mega/theone

Those are awesome and imo worth the few extra bucks. I also bought a pair of original formula pads. I'll replace the front with the original ones to see if there is a difference.

Both of these pads give me totally silent operation except for the normal disk brake friction sound.

I have to add, since I am in Socal it is riding in dry to very dry conditions.